GSB will hear library printer bill

Jessica Anderson

The Government of the Student Body will take the first step Wednesday night toward installing new printers at Parks Library.

A bill to partially fund seven new laser printers to improve the library will be read at this meeting.

GSB will hear a resolution encouraging the Graduate College to increase its speaking requirements for incoming foreign students.

“They’re increasing reading and writing requirements on the graduate entry exam,” said Patrick Hoffelmeyer, RCA senator and Daily correspondent. “Students felt they would like speaking requirements increased as well. They are just as important as reading and writing.”

Hoffelmeyer said this has been a problem on campus, especially in engineering and other technical departments. He said all of his constituents he’s talked to about the resolution are in favor of it.

“I don’t think it will be a big deal,” Hoffelmeyer said. “I think most people like it.”

Joe Darr, GSB vice president, said the resolution is only a recommendation.

“Senate is trying to state an opinion. They want minimum standards for speaking as well as writing,” Darr said.

“It is just an opinion, a way for the administration to see if the student body supports or doesn’t support the resolution. It is not law.”

T.J. Schneider, GSB president, said he has been conducting interviews for chief justice since the opening of the position, and Susan Kane, junior in psychology, has been nominated for the post.

“I came to the decision she’d be the best for the position. She has showed leadership and interest in the position,” Schneider said.

The senate will meet at 6 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.