GSB discovers budget discrepancy caused by shortfall in student fee money

Jessica Anderson

The Government of the Student Body underestimated the amount of student fee dollars it has to spend — by $100,000.

President T.J. Schneider said he is not sure how this happened, or what the impact will be.

Schneider said the problem may have come when estimating the number of full- and part-time students that would be attending Iowa State.

“We took in a lower amount of student fees than we thought we would,” he said.

Vice President Joe Darr said the $100,000 was pre-budgeted as money that would be given to student organizations.

Schneider said GSB will either have to find $100,000, which may be taken from the special projects account, or cut the amount from its budget.

He said the special projects account has approximately $350,000 in it.

GSB senate will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

A bill that would give more than $3,600 to the Black Cultural Center will be presented.

The center, on Welch Avenue, is owned by the university, Schneider said.

While it has study rooms, there are no computers or Internet access.

If approved, the money from this bill would buy two computers and allow access to the campus network.

Schneider said these improvements would help bring the building up to the standards of the university.

General Orders

* A bill approving the apportionment of senate seats.

* A bill allotting $1,000 to the Freshman Council for the Leaders Today Leadership Seminar.

New Business

* A bill to create an at-large special student fees committee representative. By Kline, Luken and others.

* A bill allotting $1,000 to the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Alliance to attend the Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Ally College Conference. By Taylor, Poole and others.

* A bill to buy computer and Internet supplies for the Black Cultural Center. By Kline, Luken and others.