GSB allocates $24,000 to student groups

Jessica Anderson

The Government of the Student Body gave away more than $24,000 Wednesday night without inquiring how the money would be spent.

Campus groups received this money through the special allocation process Wednesday night.

David Boike, finance director, said he’s been through five allocation processes and this is the first time no questions have been raised.

“We just gave about $24,000 to about a dozen student groups,” Boike said. “Normally there’s always debate, something always gets divided out. This year senate just passed it. I’m amazed, I don’t know what to think.”

Adam Jackson, off-campus senator, said it isn’t because nobody cares.

“It’s just that after looking through this budget, nobody could find anything wrong,” Jackson said.

Dan Kline, off-campus senator, said he expected more questions to be asked, but was not concerned by the lack of debate.

“I think that goes to show the senate has a lot of confidence in the finance committee and the job they’ve been charged to do,” he said.

Last year, senate debated the special allocations bill for over an hour.

“This has got to be a first,” Tony Luken, speaker of the senate, said.

The senate apportionment bill, which would decide how many senators each college and housing unit could appoint, was postponed until next week.

The bill was not voted on because of discrepancies with the number of students in the Union Drive Association.

“This is a big math problem that the election commissioner has to do,” Luken said.

He said UDA’s numbers are on the border of receiving another senate position.

There are four senate positions still open — College of Family and Consumer Sciences, University Student Apartment Community, graduate college and the business college.