GSB looks ahead to capital projects

Jessica Anderson

Only one bill will be presented at this week’s Government of the Student Body meeting.

“It’s a pretty quiet time for GSB right now,” Tony Luken, speaker of the senate, said. “It should be picking up next week.”

He said a lot of the senators are working on special projects and it takes time to get ideas and details worked out

“Right now, senate is generating new ideas,” said Joe Darr, GSB vice president. “Students can come to us with ideas and have us translate them into policy.”

Darr said not as many students have come to senate seeking funding this year. He said this may be because students aren’t aware senate is available, or because nothing is going on.

Darr said this has been an “unusual and highly abnormal” year for senate.

“There have been fewer people approaching us,” Darr said.

Luken said one project senators are working on is replacing the dot matrix printers in Parks Library with laser printers. He said this idea is still in negotiation, but if it works out it should be up for vote before the end of the semester.

He said he got the idea from a Towers resident.

“We’re more interested in looking at more capital projects, how we spend the money from the special projects account,” Luken said.

Darr will begin working on another large project after the comedy festival Nov. 13. He said he will try to work on one big item at a time.

Joellen Pietz from the ISUCard office will be speaking about CyCash at this meeting.

Pietz said she will be talking about how to add money, where students can use the funds, and about CyCash in general.

Programs

* Jody Pietz will be speaking about the CyCash system.

General Orders

* A bill approving the special allocations budget.

* A bill allotting $1,000 to the student health advisory committee.

* A bill approving the apportionment of the senate seats.

New Business

* A bill allotting $1,000 to the Freshman Council to host the Leaders Today Leadership Seminar. By Kline, Luken and others.