GSB discusses Sanderson, fall gala

Jessica Anderson

Cael Sanderson was a topic of conversation at Wednesday’s Government of the Student Body meeting.

“A resolution commemorating Cael Sanderson for his great career was entered into the Congressional Record,” said Tony Luken, speaker of the senate.

He said this came from a statement passed by GSB last year.

“We actually got a little recognition,” Luken said. “It’s nice that the first thing recognizing him was the voice of the students.”

Also discussed was a former idea to raise a bronze statue of Sanderson on campus.

T.J. Schneider, GSB president said he had discussed the idea with President Gregory Geoffroy.

“We decided that putting a statue on campus might not be the best thing to do,” Schneider said.

He said commemorating one athlete might not be the best plan. Schneider and Joe Darr, GSB vice president, are working with the athletic department in possibly redoing the Hilton Coliseum concourse to honor all sports teams.

“They are working on putting that out to bid,” Schneider said. “It is a capital purchase in honor of not only Cael Sanderson but also other great athletes.”

GSB will probably be asked for money from its special projects fund to help with the project, he said.

The Fall Gala was also discussed at the meeting. It will be held Oct. 12 after the homecoming football game. The dance will begin at 10 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Schneider said the dance will be informal.

GSB Chief of Staff Rick Cordaro went over the Big 12 Honor Code, an item discussed at the Big 12 Leadership Conference in Texas.

The universities are working on drafting a statement asking for sportsman-like conduct from fans and alumni, he said. Iowa State does not have as many problems as other schools do, Cordaro said.

“At Texas Tech, fans throw tortillas on the field when their team scores,” Cordaro said.

Sam Umbach, senior in computer engineering, was seated as election commissioner and Shawn Faurote, junior in mechanical engineering, was seated as Union Drive Association senator.