GSB will consider investing in medical tools

Jessica Anderson and Jyni Ekinss

The Government of the Student Body will take a request for more than $27,000 at its meeting Wednesday.

The money would help pay for colposcopes at the Mary Greeley Medical Center emergency room and Thielen Student Health Center.

A colposcope is a camera used in rape investigations to detect small tears in the vagina.

“This is a good investment,” said T.J. Schneider, GSB president. “One of our biggest initiatives is to ensure campus safety.”

Student Fees Senator Raye Taylor said purchasing a colposcope will benefit students and the community. She said the instrument could provide evidence to convict rapists and protect the falsely accused.

Taylor said the student health center already has a colposcope but needs $4,000 to make it functional. Mary Greeley will be contributing $6000 in partnership with GSB for its colposcope, according to the bill.

“This is something that is needed, but if nobody ever has to use it, we’ll be happy,” Schneider said.

President Gregory Geoffroy and Melissa Miller will be speaking at Wednesday’s meeting. Miller will be discussing Dance Marathon.

Geoffroy presents at GSB about once a semester, Schneider said, and it is an opportunity for students to ask questions.

Plans are being finalized for the Fall Event Series. Schneider said tickets will be $5 for students and $15 for others, including all service charges.

The event will begin at 8 p.m. Nov. 13.

The meeting begins at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

WEB FEATURE:

GSB Meeting Agenda

Programs:

-President Gregory Geoffroy

-Melissa Miller ยข Dance Marathon

General Orders:

-Ratification of the Memorial Union Agreement.

-Restructuring the Attorney General Position.

New Business:

-The Scope of a Colposcope. By Taylor, Vartabedian and others.