Fall Gala continues tradition, concludes Homecoming

Jonathan Eyres

Iowa State’s homecoming festivities will conclude with a celebration of tradition, music and dancing this Saturday with the annual Fall Gala in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

The Fall Gala was first held in 1912 and ended in 1972. The lost tradition was revived for the first time in nearly 30 years during Homecoming 2000.

“ISU used to have this a long time ago,” said T.J. Schneider, president of the Government of the Student Body. “The tradition was kind of lost.”

This year GSB, the Student Union Board and the Student Alumni Leadership Council will host the Third Annual Homecoming Fall Gala, “A Night of Cyclone Celebration,” from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday evening in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

This will be a nice event to cap off the Homecoming week, Schneider says.

“[Fall Gala] is usually a formal event but we’re changing it to a semiformal event,” Schneider said. “It’s going to be a come-as-you-are event because the game is so late in the evening.”

Refreshment and snacks will be provided as well as tables to sit and mingle at.

“You won’t have to worry about being hungry and thirsty because food and beverages will be provided,” Schneider said. “This will be an event to not only dance and have a good time, but also get a chance to sit and relax after a long week of Homecoming.”

Past the fountain of the Memorial Union, the bass of the variety band Dr. Feelgood will be heard playing selections ranging from Motown oldies to the upbeat tempo of disco.

“[Dr. Feelgood] plays virtually anything,” said Keith West, manager of the band’s management, Des Moines’ Entertainment Group. “They do a great disco show with a very danceable and hard-driving beat.”

“Dr. Feelgood is great at getting the audience involved, because they’ve worked with all kinds of audiences,” he said. “They know how to keep the audience moving by creating a party atmosphere, with contests, free T-shirts and stuffed animals.

“Dr. Feelgood does a really good job with interacting with students.”

The members of the band are very versatile. They can play virtually anything, because they have such a talented group of band members, West said.

“[Dr. Feelgood] has a wonderful vocalist as well as great instrumentals,” he said. “They can all play each other’s instruments too.”

Dr. Feelgood should put on a great show full of “huge fun” and excitement.

“I’ve never not had [Dr. Feelgood] tear the roof off,” West said. “It’s more than just seeing a band, it’s the Dr. Feelgood experience.”

The cost of the event is $7 per person or $12 per couple. Tickets can be purchased at the Student Alumni Leadership Council Office in Room 158 of the Memorial Union and the GSB Office in G43 of the Memorial Union.

Tickets will also be available at the door.

“[Fall Gala] will be nothing but a great time for everybody,” West said. “Short of being a corpse, you’ll have a good time.”