GSB plans for day of meeting, eating

Jessica Anderson

At the Government of the Student Body meeting on Wednesday night, “Meet Your Government Day” plans were discussed and four seating bills were passed.

“Meet Your Government Day” is planned for Friday and free food is included.

GSB discussed plans for this event which will take place north of the Campanile. About 2,000 hamburgers have been ordered as well as ice cream, chips and soda.

The executives are working on including a vegetarian food option.

“This is an annual tradition that started about four years ago,” said Rick Cordaro, chief of staff. “Initially, [Meet Your Government Day] was a small event with one table on Central Campus and since then, it’s grown every year.”

David Leege, Frederiksen Court senator, said this event will benefit all students and give them a chance to meet others.

Members of GSB will arrive at about 10 a.m. and food will be served at 11 a.m.

Concerns that GSB will focus on this semester are tuition and the budget.

“Tuition numbers come out at 1 p.m. [Thursday],” said T.J. Schneider, GSB president. “We’re working on how we’re going to approach the Board of Regents.”

He said they have compiled numbers, charts and graphs. They are working with information on appropriations and where Iowa State stands when ranked with peer universities.

Victor Raymond, graduate senator, said students need to encourage their parents to call their representatives in the Legislature about the tuition increase.

“If we want to make sure tuition stays down for Iowa State students, we need to get parents from every district in the state calling and saying this needs to stop,” he said.

In other news, the governor will be stopping at Iowa State at 3:15 p.m. on Sept. 23.

He will meet with students in the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union.

“This is your chance to ask him anything or tell him anything that you want to,” said Mike Banasiak, director of government relations.

“We’re really close to coming up with a final act for the Fall Event Series,” said GSB Vice President Joe Darr. “I’m sure most people will be very happy.”

He said this should be announced by the end of next week.