GSB passes bill allocating $40,000 for fall party

Jessica Anderson

A bill allotting the Government of the Student Body president $40,000 for an annual fall event passed at its meeting on Wednesday.

The bill gives T.J. Schneider, president, and a yet-to-be announced assistant discretion to choose an act to come to campus in the fall. Currently, Vice President Joe Darr is looking into a comedy act that he said will appeal to a wider number of students.

He said he is interested in bringing a big act, such as Jon Stewart, host of Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show,” to campus but has a handful of other choices in mind.

“We’re looking at some big names and we need the money or they won’t listen to us,” Darr said.

The original bill allowed for plans to be finalized until Sept. 16, but the bill was amended, extending the date to Oct. 1.

Raye Taylor, off-campus senator, raised questions about the money involved with the bill.

She said she would like to see a committee, such as the Committee on Lectures, appointed to handle finances because they have dealt with talent agencies before and have more contacts.

The vote passed 18-5, with two senators abstaining.

Darr expects the event will make enough money to support future events. He said he doesn’t foresee problems with future executives misusing the money because guidelines for its use are outlined in the bill.

Darr said if money is misused, the executives would be sued and “no executive wants that.”

He said he wants students to become united and does not want the Fall Event Series to turn into another Veishea.

“I don’t want [GSB] to be an ATM organization where we just hand out money and say `Have a nice day,’ ” Darr said.

He said he has been working on this bill since early summer.

In other news, the Omnibus Bylaw Cleanup Bill passed by unanimous consent and the bylaws were adjusted accordingly.

Andy Walling, director of campus awareness, raised concerns with student health insurance.

The university has changed providers and accounts receivable personnel have made themselves available for students with insurance related concerns.

Walling said the old provider, GM Southwest, has a large outstanding bill of more than $25,000.

“Some students have up to $7,000 that hasn’t been paid by the insurance,” Schneider said. “We are talking about substantial amounts of money.”

He also notified the senate that Chief Justice Greg Tew resigned and Schneider expects to have seating bills in place by next week’s meeting at Reiman Gardens.

The court is currently unable of hearing a case with only five justices.

Speaker of the Senate Tony Luken said there are still senator positions open for the College of Education, College of Family and Consumer Sciences, University Family Housing and four off-campus government seats.

Any new groups that missed the regular meetings for special allocations or have new, unforeseen expenses are asked to go to the next meeting.

Finance Director David Boike said GSB has more than $10,000 available for student groups.

Also presented was a bill giving about $920 to Meet Your Government Day.

The Men’s and Women’s Hockey Clubs also came to the meeting to update GSB on the season and present senators with gifts.

“We are not here asking for money,” said Al Murdoch, ISU hockey coach.

He said the students are selling season tickets to fund the season. The teams presented everyone with a hockey poster and gave the president, vice president and finance director hockey sticks signed by the team members.

The Unicycle and Juggling Club also spoke to the senate.

Three of their members were involved in RAGBRAI last year, and two of them finished the 500-mile race on unicycle. GSB gave the club money for new unicycles equipped with 36-inch wheels. The team customized the bikes by fitting them with brakes and handles.