GSB Senate to debate fall events, meet with clubs

Jessica Anderson

At its Wednesday night meeting, the Government of the Student Body will discuss plans to bring a performance to campus, bylaws and the becoming more acquainted with an organization seeking campus funding.

At last week’s meeting, a funding bill for a fall event series was presented for the first time, and senators could only ask the bill’s author questions of intent. Senators ask yes or no questions, so everyone has the opportunity to get information and do research.

“People may have problems with [the bill] or they may not,” GSB President T.J. Schneider said. “In the second meeting there’s open discussion about it.”

Each bill is presented twice before a vote is taken. He said the bill is usually voted on at the second meeting, though the vote may be postponed so the senators can gather more information.

“The fall event series will hopefully raise some discussion and we will see what the feelings are,” said GSB President T.J. Schneider said. “[GSB Vice President Joe Darr] and I, since we came up with the idea, are just hoping to get some good discussion about it.”

Schneider said he would like to hear everyone’s opinions, in addition to ways the bill can be improved.

He said there may also be discussion on what types of acts to bring to campus.

“They want $40,000 to be transferred to the Annual GSB Fall Event Account,” said Katherine VanWeelden, College of Business senator. “What they’re going to do with this money is have a fall party, more or less.”

She said the bill is written so the president will designate somebody to assist him in finding an act to perform. When they find the act, the pair has to notify the speaker how much the show will cost.

The bill states that arrangements must be made by Sept. 16. “If they don’t do it by then, they lose all authorization to put this on,” VanWeelden said. She expects a lot of debate on the bill in its current form.

The other bill up for discussion and vote relates to bylaw cleanup.

In addition, the unicycle and hockey clubs will be meeting with the senate.

“They requested to come to us and tell us more of their plans for the semester and goals for next year,” Schneider said.

VanWeelden said GSB is trying to get better acquainted with the groups on campus that receive funding.

“We are trying to interact more with students and student groups and dispel the aura of elitism that GSB has,” VanWeelden said. “We like it when groups come and talk to us; we don’t usually get to meet them and hear what they do with the money.”