GSB seeks students’ feedback

Jessica Anderson

The Government of the Student Body will be kicking off its first meeting with seating, funding and bylaw bills to prepare for the fall semester.

“Tomorrow night should be pretty good and pretty fast with only a couple bills up,” said Jason Carroll, senator for the College of Engineering.

The meeting is at 7 p.m. Wednesday in rooms 171-179 Scheman. This is the only meeting of the year scheduled in Scheman; The rest will be in the Memorial Union, with one at Reiman Gardens, said T.J. Schneider, GSB president.

Schneider said the atmosphere of this year’s meetings will depend on what is being discussed. He expects this meeting to be more laid-back, allowing people to get readjusted to the senate.

“You’ll see that change throughout the semester,” he said. “This one should be relaxed because we’re probably voting only on one bill.”

The agenda calls for mostly introductory material, such as what happened over the summer and what committees need an assignment, Schneider said.

Tony Luken, speaker of the senate, plans on having guest speakers at the meetings in the future. He said next week the hockey clubs and unicycle club will be present.

“A lot of guests come to speak about campus issues,” Luken said. “Most people really want to make a change and bring their own opinions.”

GSB is still working on filling seats for the term.

“We encourage anyone who is interested [in being on senate] to come and talk to us and we can work to help them find a position on senate,” Schneider said.

He said even if a student doesn’t want to serve, this is the time to show up and speak about issues.

“If there are any concerns students have, this is a good time to bring them up because things are still fresh on students’ minds,” Schneider said.

Carroll, who was elected in the spring and is serving his first year on the senate, said there is time allotted in the agenda for students to speak.

“Show up and tell us what you think, because we’re here to represent you guys,” he said.

“The beginning of the year is kind of a time to get back to action,” Schneider said. “There will be a refreshing of the new senators so they know how the meetings are conducted.”

Prior to the meeting, Schneider said GSB will take a tour of the University Museum at 6 p.m. Students attending the meeting are invited to tour the Brunnier Art Museum with the senators.