ISU tennis team experiences highs, lows

The ISU women’s tennis team failed to break out of its slump over the weekend, falling to conference foes Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

The Cyclones lost all six singles matches and all three doubles matches against both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, getting shut out 7-0.

Senior Noortje Cornelissen battled Oklahoma State’s Dominika Olszewska at the No. 1 singles position to three sets, before falling 6-1, 3-6, 8-10.

“Noortje played an outstanding match against Oklahoma State even though she lost in three sets,” ISU head coach Michele Conlon said.

Despite the losses, ISU tennis player Tara Goedjen said the Cyclones were able to improve over the course of the weekend.

“We were really able to heighten our level of play from Saturday to Sunday,” she said. “We came out tenacious and our individual scores reflect that.”

Goedjen said the team did a good job of adjusting its play at the different facilities.

“We did a great job of adjusting from playing inside on Saturday to playing outside on Sunday,” she said.

“We were more tactful with our shots and we were able to play smarter by taking the wind into consideration.”

The losses drop the Cyclones to 5-11 overall and 1-9 in the Big 12. The No. 49 Sooners move to 13-7 overall and 3-4 in the Big 12, while the No. 40 Cowgirls improved to 11-9 overall and 5-4 in the Big 12.

The team did have something to cheer about this weekend, as junior Kristin Gyaki was selected to represent Iowa State at the 2002 NCAA Foundation Leadership Conference, which will be held in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. on May 26-30.

“This is a great opportunity not only for Kristin, but also for Iowa State, because she can bring back lots of valuable information,” Conlon said.

Gyaki will be one of 300 student-athletes from around the country who were selected from 1,183 nominations from 296 institutions.

“I was nominated in part because of my `diversity,’ being from Calgary, Canada,” Gyaki said.

Jeff Cesler, one of the Academic Advisors in the Athletic Department, nominated Gyaki.

She then had to fill out an application and write a personal essay about how her student-athlete experience has helped her develop as a leader and how she will use those experiences in the workplace.

“To be nominated to attend this leadership conference was an honor in itself,” Gyaki said. “It is nice to know that people believe in you and think that you stand out as a leader among so many talented and capable people.”

Gyaki was also named president of Iowa State’s Student-Athlete Advisory Council for the 2002-3 academic year.

“No one really wanted to do it, so I raised my hand and volunteered to do it because I thought it would be a great experience and challenge,” Gyaki said.

Conlon said Gyaki is the right person for the job because she is able to get people to follow her easily.

“I believe she will do an exceptional job as president because she has the ability to bring people together with enthusiasm,” Conlon said.

Gyaki said the Student-Athlete Council meets once a month to organize and participate in numerous community service activities.

They also serve as a liaison between the administration and teams, offer insight on the student-athlete experience and works to present a positive image of student-athletes.

The Cyclones will close out the regular season when they host the Baylor Bears Friday at noon.

Four seniors – Cornelissen, Edna Vazquez, Karin Westberg and Sharla Whitaker – will take the court for the last time in Ames.

“There’s no question Friday will be emotional for everyone involved,” Conlon said.

“The four seniors have meant a lot to the tennis program and to Iowa State and there’s no doubt a void will be felt next year without them.”