On the Scene with Paul Friemel

Stephanie Yost

Stephanie Yost: You recently made a DVD featuring your band 2nd Best. Why did you make it and where’d you get the idea for it?

Paul Friemel: Well, last year I had an honors mentor in the architecture department that showed me that they burnt a lot of large architecture movies onto DVD-R. So I guess the idea for the DVD was birthed the day I found out DVD recorders existed on campus in 2001. I didn’t get a chance to make the dream a reality until I found out from a friend that the programs to make quality DVDs were becoming more and more accessible. The final kick was the discovery of a Web site that sold DVD-Rs for under $3 apiece. At $3 a disc, I realized I could burn a bunch of DVDs for a reasonable price.

SY: What footage is included on the DVD?

PF: I have been acting like my band, 2nd Best, was some big important thing since day one, and have tried to document almost every show by taking photographs or video tape. As the shows went by, I began caring less and less until there were big shows that I’d tape just so I would never forget them. Most of this footage in one way or another made it onto this DVD. There are a lot of fast clips bunched together like a video collage and there are some uncut live performances, including our CD release party last year and our opening spots in front of national acts Eve 6 and Lucky Boys Confusion. There is a little video that quickly runs through almost all the covers we’ve ever done. There’s also some not-so “all audiences” footage but it’s well-hidden.

SY: How do you feel about the premiere of your DVD?

PF: I am so happy. I am also relieved and proud that I completed this massive project. I feel like I just completed my thesis or something. I spent over 300 hours on this project, and that’s out of class, out of work time. I didn’t get much sleep this semester. I ended up skipping a lot of class. Unfortunately, my grades are going to show the strain of this project.

SY: What are your hopes or expectations for the premiere?

PF: I just want a few people to show up. There are a few friends I have specifically asked to come. It would be cool to have a bunch of the local bands to come as a group. I think a lot of the local musicians in Ames support each other, granted a lot of them don’t consider my band local, but this DVD business is something new everywhere and they might find it very interesting to see what the future may hold for possibilities of merchandise for their band. DVDs for bands are usually found at the corporate level, and now it’s possible to have such items at the local level. . I am just so pleased that I finished this project and I will get a chance to show it. I just hope people find the subject matter interesting as well as the fact that normal Joe Schmo can make some technological masterpiece. I also am giving away 2nd Best door prizes at the premiere as well as having popcorn and pop for those who attend.

SY: What has this experience been like for you?

PF: It’s been a giant learning experience. I now know how to operate about five new programs that I never knew how to use before. I would never learn how to use these programs in my major anyway, since they aren’t necessarily considered “graphic design” programs like Photoshop or Illustrator. I may work more with video in the future, perhaps graduate school. I’ve always wanted to be a director, but I don’t want to go to school for it and get my creativity tainted by school. Yuck.

SY: What is your background in music?

PF: I used to play trombone in 6th and 7th grade and that was probably the highest level of musicianship I was ever at. Sadly, I have lost my ability to read music so I am taking a lot of beginning music classes to learn all that again, and I am even picking up some theory. I started playing bass guitar when I was a sophomore in high school and joined a one-show band called Crusty Sock and that later morphed into Don’t Excite the Retard. After that came 2nd Best.

SY: Who should attend the premiere and why?

PF: In my opinion, anyone in a local band should be there to see what they’re up against. (laughs) Anyone that actually likes or has heard of 2nd Best might enjoy the premiere.