Choirs perform work of masters

Stephanie Yost

Five soloists, four choirs, three masterworks, two languages and one orchestra will come together to perform a night of music.

Iowa State Singers, Iowa Statesmen, Cantamus and Lyrica will sing in the annual Masterworks Concert at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Stephens Auditorium.

“A healthy part of a choral program is to offer this sort of opportunity to our students,” says James Rodde, director of choral activities and conductor for the concert.

The choirs will perform the masterworks of three distinguished composers: Bach’s “Magnificat in D,” Handel’s “Zadok the Priest” and Durufl‚’s “Requiem.”

Masterworks are large works created for choirs, soloists and orchestras to perform. They usually range from 30 to 40 minutes. They are also deemed the composer’s greatest music.

Mike Fernholz, junior in electrical engineering and bass II in Statesmen, says this concert is special because the choirs get to perform with the orchestra and sing pieces they normally don’t have an opportunity to sing.

“It’s a good display of what our music program is,” Fernholz says. “If you can, I’d see this one because it has the orchestra in it.”

Rodde says the Masterworks Concert will combine a lot of resources. Besides the choirs, there will be five soloists: Simon Estes, three music faculty members and one student. Accompanying the choirs will be orchestra members from the Ames and Des Moines area.

“Magnificat in D” and “Requiem” will be sung in Latin and “Zadok the Priest” will be performed in English. In honor of the 100th anniversary of the birth of the composer and in reaction to the events of Sept. 11, “Requiem” was chosen, Rodde says.

The Bach masterwork was chosen by a group of students. These students are taking a class on Bach, which is being taught by faculty members.

Although the concert includes four ISU choirs, not all choirs will perform each song. The Iowa State Singers will perform Bach’s “Magnificat in D.” “Requiem” will be sung by Iowa State Singers, Cantamus and Statesmen. Iowa State Singers, Cantamus, Statesmen and Lyrica will perform “Zadok the Priest.”

The concert has been a lot of work for the choirs. Fernholz says students have put in extra time outside of class to rehearse with the other choirs and the orchestra.

Tickets cost $9 for adults and $5 for students. They will be available at the door.