On the Scene with Teresa Swanson

Stephanie Yost

Stephanie Yost: What is your background or training in dance?

Teresa Swanson: I have been dancing for 20 years. That seems crazy. I took lessons from Beth Clarke here in Ames until I graduated from high school. There I took classes in tap, ballet and jazz. I have been dancing with ISU for six years. Here I have learned more tap, ballet and jazz as well as modern, African, hip-hop and just about anything else you can think of.

SY: You recently won an award for dancing, what award was it and why did you receive it?

TS: I was chosen for Outstanding Student Choreographer award at the regional festival – first time in ISU history. The dance I choreographed, “Siren,” was chosen to perform at the national festival in Washington D.C. Three professional dancers were judges at the regional festival; they choose what dances they would like to be in a gala concert at the end of the regionals. Then they pick who they’d like to go to nationals, and they choose one student for the outstanding choreographer award.

SY: How do you plan to continue with dancing later in life?

TS: After graduation I plan to head out to New York City for a while. I want to learn and learn and learn, and eventually I would like to teach. Teaching is one of my favorite things. I will continue to take classes and keep learning as long as my body will let me, but having my own studio is my biggest goal for the future.

SY: What has dancing brought to your life?

TS: Wow, where do I start? I love dancing, I love watching dance, I love choreographing dance, I love teaching dance. It is my life. I don’t know how else to explain it.

SY: How has dancing affected your life in a positive way?

TS: I think it was the first thing I ever did really well.

As a child and teenager having a creative outlet is so important. I felt good while I was dancing, it was a very positive part of growing up.

SY: How has your family supported you or been an influence where your dancing is concerned?

TS: My family is very supportive of my dancing. My mom was a dancer as well. They do the best they can to come to every show I’m in, which, believe me, has got to get tiring.

SY: How has dancing at Iowa State made you a better dancer or helped you to improve your technique?

TS: Iowa State has been a great experience for me. The dance program is very young and is still developing quite a bit. It has been great to be a part of its growth. The program is small enough that the personal attention is very easy to find. I think of my professors as my very, very good friends who also happen to be teaching me everything I need to know.

Another thing to point out is the fact that two dances from Iowa State were chosen to perform in the gala concert at the regional festival. My piece, titled “Siren,” and a piece choreographed by Kelly Bartlett, titled “Glitch,” was also chosen. This is also very amazing because of the fact that we are both students. The festival showcases faculty and guest artists as well. There were nine pieces that were chosen for the gala. Only three were student choreographed, and two of those were Iowa State.

I think that says a lot for the education we are getting here. Our program is not huge, but I like it that way. We are getting exactly what we need to make quality work.

SY: What dancers do you look up to or admire?

TS: My teachers – Beth Clarke, Laurie Sanda, Janice Baker, Vernon Windsor. They are all amazing people and have so much wonderful knowledge to share. I’ve never known people who are so eager to share with others.

SY: Who has been your mentor while you’ve been dancing?

TS: All my life – Beth Clarke. She is the reason I love dance. It was such a joy to go to dance as a child. I have seen her at least once a week for almost my entire life. I can’t imagine what it will be like graduating and not seeing her anymore. I have been teaching for Beth for six years now. I can say I learned how to dance from Beth orginally, but I think the best lessons come in the way that she teaches and shares and loves her students. That’s been the best thing to watch and learn from.

Laurie Sanda has also been an amazing part of my education. That woman bends over backwards for her students. She arranges classes around what the students need. She will do whatever it takes to get her students the knowledge she thinks they need. She’s very smart. She is very loving, very much one my mentors – and one of my best friends.

SY: Some people sing while they are in the shower, do you dance?

TS: What a funny, yet amazingly true question. I get ideas at the absolute worst time – in the shower, on a long drive, during class, in the middle of the night – basically any time my mind is allowed to wander. I learned this year to keep a notebook with me at all times. I call it my “Book of Wonders.” I take it with me everywhere I go. It has worked really well.

SY: What type of preparation do you do before dancing?

TS: Before a performance we always warm up together. We are of course warming up our body, but we are getting a sense of the group as well. We really have to work together.

“Siren” has a ton of partnering, lifts and group work. It is very important to be able to work together. It is also to help us start projecting our energy.