Boycott threat removed from Veishea proposal

Jyni Ekins

After a lengthy debate, the Inter-Residence Hall Association is pursuing a revised Veishea policy proposal without the boycott provision.

IRHA voted 13-3 with two abstaining in favor of striking the boycott provision from the “Noncelebratory Celebration” proposal Thursday night.

Jeff Greiner, UDA president and author of the proposal, requested his name be stricken from the bill, saying it no longer represented his intentions.

“I’m not particularly happy with the way things have gone, but I may have to call it good enough,” Greiner said. “The threat needs to be there for us not to be ignored as we have been in the past three years.”

After debating, members voted to eliminate the threat of a boycott from the proposal, which the majority felt was unfair and extreme.

Tony Luken, sitting in for TRA president Keith Twombley, a writer of the proposal, said while he encourages a “no” vote on the proposal, he is voting yes on behalf of Twombley.

“It’s a good resolution, but it’s three years late,” Luken said. “These tactics are for [former President Martin] Jischke. [President Gregory] Geoffroy is the biggest breath of fresh air students have had in a long time.”

Director of the Department of Residence Randy Alexander, who will be requested to review the proposal, was at the IRHA meeting. Geoffroy will also review the proposal.

“I can’t speak for President Geoffroy, but I can tell you what most administrators would say,” Alexander said. “I think [the boycott] weakens your position and isn’t politically smart.”

Geoffroy was not available for comment.

Alexander emphasized that Geoffroy has never experienced Veishea before, and only knows that the 1997 murder of Harold “Uri” Sellers took place during the event.

“You’re going to send him something that says if [your requests] aren’t fulfilled, you’re going to boycott a 75-year-old tradition,” he said. “I really think it’s a bad idea.”

Paul Duncan, IRHA president, said there is the hope of compromise between IRHA and Geoffroy.

“Jischke was a real big jerk about [the policies], but Mr. Geoffroy is not Mr. Jischke – he is willing to listen to us on these issues,” Duncan said. “It is a good thing because I would like to see all of these rules changed, but with Geoffroy on the side of the students, it’s unnecessary.”

Greiner said although Geoffroy may be willing to negotiate, he is not the only person involved in changing policy.

“I’d like to point out this decision is not entirely the decision of President Geoffroy – it’s the decision of several administrators,” he said.

The proposal, written by Greiner, TRA president Keith Twombley, and RCA president Jennie Kingery, passed after several other amendments.

An amendment was also passed to strike the security clause, becuase members decided students weren’t as upset with that provision compared to the others.

Greiner said he has been talking to his constituents about “what a successful negotiation would be,” and the RAs making excessive rounds was a primary concern.

“[It’s] kind of like Big Brother always watching over you,” he said.

Alexander said he was open to fewer RA rounds and unlocking the internal doors between houses. He said he had previously thought the IRHA meant unlocking the outside doors.

The final Veishea policy request asked for changing the alcohol policy so those of legal age would be permitted to drink in their rooms.

The alcohol policy may be more difficult issue to reach a compromise on, Greiner said, but it is still an issue.

“A much more appropriate message to me would be, `if you are going to drink, drink responsibly,’ ” he said.

Alexander said leaders should focus on how students can have fun at Veishea without alcohol.

“I think [the alcohol policy] is at the heart of this issue and has been ever since I’ve been involved,” Alexander said. “Is it that much to ask that somebody not drink for two nights?”

Greiner defended his position on the policy and said it didn’t seem to him that alcohol was the central issue of the proposal, “but it is an issue because it does affect a decent number of people.”

The proposal also said negotiations must be met to the satisfaction of the internal affairs committee, which consists of the association presidents and at-large representatives, as well as the IRHA president.

Concern was expressed that the other IRHA representatives would not be included in the negotiating process. Greiner said it “is a very valid concern,” and proposed an amendment to include the entire IRHA in the final vote, while allowing the internal affairs committee to be more involved with specific negotiations.

The amendment passed by unanimous consent.

Other Business

GSB presidential and vice presidential candidates came to speak to IRHA and answer their questions. There are two slates running: Steve Medanic for president with running mate Andrew Kothenbeutel and T.J. Schneider with running mate Joe Darr.

Johnathan Shertzer told members about a proposed policy change within the Department of Residence to increase the charge for students who break their residence hall contracts from 8 to 20 percent.