Vilsack’s budget protects schools

Michaela Saunders

Gov. Tom Vilsack has proposed a budget for fiscal year 2003 that would protect Iowa State and the other Board of Regents institutions, as well as the K-12 system, from further budget reductions.

It is uncertain what the Legislature will decide.

In July 2002 Iowa State had a state-funded budget of $265 million. After the fall de-appropriation of 4.3 percent, $11.4 million was cut from the budget, bringing it to a new total of $253,760,000.

“That’s where we’re at now, before this new de-appropriation we’re working through,” said Mark Chidister, assistant to the president for budget planning and analysis.

It is that $253 million that Vilsack proposes Iowa State be allocated in fiscal year 2003. Chidister said Vilsack’s proposal also includes a 4 percent salary increase package.

“I have heard the likelihood of that is slim,” Chidister said. But he said all units of the university have been working to prepare for bad financial news from the state.

“Each unit of the university was asked to set targets in anticipation for other kinds of shortfalls,” Chidister said. “While those cuts don’t make up for all of the losses, we would not have to go out and ask for additional cuts.”

Chidister said it would take a clairvoyant to know when the budget for fiscal year 2003, which begins July 1, will be finalized.

“It all depends on how long [the governor and the Legislature] will negotiate this,” he said.

In the meantime, Chidister said he encourages students and parents to follow suggestions made by the Government of the Student Body and contact state representatives.

“The most proactive thing students and parents can do is follow through on that and express their feelings about the cuts,” he said.

GSB President Andy Tofilon supports student participation in the budget debate process and said he hopes the legislature will follow Vilsack’s lead.

“I think the governor is going in the right direction,” Tofilon said. “The state needs to set both K-12 and higher education as top priorities.”