Martinez is quiet leader for Cyclone softball

Nate Frandsen

Junior Erica Martinez takes care of business on the softball field in a quiet way. But that doesn’t mean her accomplishments aren’t heard.

Since joining the ISU softball team as a freshman, she has made a big impact in all areas of the game. Martinez pitches, plays outfield and is the designated hitter on some occasions.

“The most impressive thing about Erica is her versatility,” ISU head coach Ruth Crowe said. “Everything she offers – hitting, pitching and defense – contributes to our team.”

Martinez contributes in other ways as well.

“She is very quiet. She does not get emotionally out of control. When she is pitching, you can’t tell if we are winning or losing by watching her,” Crowe said. “She is steady.”

In addition to softball, Martinez also played volleyball for Fort Madison High School. While in high school, she hit 47 career home runs good for an Iowa record. Her 24 home runs her senior year is a national single-season record.

She was a five-time all-conference selection as well as first team all-state twice and second team all-state once.

“Erica was not heavily recruited in-state because a lot of people thought she was too small. We had already signed another pitcher, Jen Bice, and we didn’t have any scholarship money left,” Crowe said. “We told Erica we wanted her and that she would get a scholarship after the first year.”

Martinez said when it came time to choose a college, it was a difficult decision.

“I didn’t really know where I was going to go,” she said. “I dreamed of going to Arizona, because they’re usually in on the National Championship. I thought about Iowa, but they didn’t want me to pitch.”

Martinez visited a junior college in Florida which she said she “really liked.”

“But then Coach Crowe called and I changed my mind,” she said. “Iowa State couldn’t offer me a scholarship, because they didn’t have any left. Then Iowa called and said they had one scholarship spot open, but I turned them down and came here.”

Crowe was definitely happy with Martinez’s decision.

“I think that says a lot about her to turn down Iowa and a full scholarship, and come here to be Cyclone. It speaks highly of her,” Crowe said.

Martinez named the level of play the Big 12 has to offer as well as the academic side of things as her reasons for choosing Iowa State.

After joining the team, Martinez wasted no time in making an impact.

As a freshman, she led the team in home runs with 5 in only 75 at bats. She posted a 4-6 record on the mound, and struck out 46 batters in 46.2 innings of work.

Now as a junior, she has 14 career home runs which put her one home run out of second place and three behind leader Erin White on the ISU home run chart.

Crowe said there are a few reasons why Martinez excels.

“She is very strong, and she comes from an athletic and supportive family with her dad coaching her and her brother who played baseball here,” she said. “She can hit about any pitcher in the country. I pitch batting practice and the ball just comes off her bat like a rocket.”

Martinez credits Crowe with helping her in a few ways.

“Coach Crowe has helped me a lot on and off the field. She has helped my mental game and that is really important at this level,” she said.

Martinez’s teammates also have noticed what she brings to the team.

“She is a very confident player. She knows she can go up to bat and get the job done,” Ashley Core said. “As a pitcher, she is strong and overpowering, and as a team, we all look up to her confidence.”

Martinez has high hopes for this season.

After getting off to a 5-4 record, she hopes the Big 12 conference will be the proving ground for the Cyclones.

“This team could be top five in the Big 12, which is one of the top conferences for softball. If you are in the top five, chances are you will probably ranked nationally,” Martinez said. “Just since I have been here, there has been a big difference talent wise. I think we will do well this year.”