Online voting continues in hopes of raising turnout

Katie List

Government of the Student Body officials are hopeful that voter turnout for this year’s elections, which begin Monday, will surpass the record 25 percent of the student body from 2001.

Last year, 6,278 students, or 25 percent, of the student population, voted in the GSB elections. The turnout was more than double the 2000 participation of 3,000. In 1999, 1,480 students voted.

Tim Kearns, member of the GSB election commission and Daily columnist, said he thinks even more students will logon to vote during the next two days. Kearns, senior in political science, said he anticipates a 50 percent turnout.

T.J. Schneider and Joe Darr are running against Steve Medanic and Andrew Kothenbeutel for the president/vice president slate. Students from each residence hall association and college will also elect a senator to represent them in the GSB Senate.

In addition, four questions regarding changes in the GSB constitution will appear on the ballot.

Last year’s record turnout was attributed to the inauguration of online voting and controversy over fare-free CyRide and senate specialty seats.

Jenny Larson, member of the election commission, said she is unsure of this year’s turnout.

“The president and vice-president seats are pretty well matched as far as experience and such,” said Larson, senior in political science. “There aren’t any contentious issues, and there are only two contested senate seats, so I have a feeling that the voter turnout will not match last year’s.

“I just haven’t heard people getting excited about this year.”

Jeff Sorensen, systems analyst for Academic Information Technology, helped create the online ballot for GSB. After last year’s record results, he said he is reluctant to venture a guess for this year.

“It’s always hard to tell, because it depends on issues,” Sorensen said. “This year’s race doesn’t look to be a very contentious one, but I guess that depends on people’s opinion.”

Regardless of the turnout rate, online election results are available almost immediately, Sorensen said.

“Non write-in election results can be counted in less than a half hour,” Sorensen said.

Laurie Tope, sophomore in biology, said she probably would not vote if the elections were not online.

“As long as the Internet is working properly, it’s much more convenient because it’s at my fingertips,” Tope said.