Festival celebrates 26 years of harmony

Stephanie Yost

Two concerts will bring together some of Iowa’s finest high school musicians.

The Cyclone Honor Band Festival will be 7:30 p.m. on Friday and at 3 p.m. on Saturday at Stephens Auditorium.

LeMars Community High School (LCHS) will perform along with the ISU Wind Ensemble on Friday. LCHS was picked as this year’s Outstanding Iowa High School Band, said ISU Director of Bands Michael Golemo.

“It’s a huge honor,” said Curt Ohrlund, LCHS band director. “My kids are looking forward to traveling to Ames and playing for an astute audience.”

The ISU Wind Ensemble will also have its own set featuring guest soloist Kenny Drefke. Drefke is an ISU alumnus who is a member of the United States Airforce Heartland of America Band. He will be playing his alto saxophone for the concert.

Saturday’s concert will consist of three bands: the White Band, the Gold Band and the Cardinal Band. Students were selected for each band based on their music ability.

“For us, the selection process is very long and involved,” Golemo said.

The three bands combined include students who represent 100 Iowa high schools. More than 1,000 applications were sent to Iowa State to fill 300 spots.

“The representation is unbelievable,” Golemo said.

Three guest conductors will be directing the honor bands. The White Band will be led by Thomas Lee, director of bands at the University of California at Los Angeles. The Gold Band will be conducted by Thomas Caneva, the University of Illinois associate director of bands. The Cardinal Band will be directed by Steve Colton, director of bands at Linn-Mar High School in Marion.

Zach Krause, junior at LCHS, is eager to play and listen to other bands. He said an experience like this is good because it “allows me to hear what other bands and instrumentalists are doing.”

Krause plans to continue studying music in college. He hopes to be involved with jazz band, concert band and choir.

When Ohrlund got the call from Golemo in November that LCHS was picked as this year’s Outstanding Iowa High School band, he said he was happy to do it.

“I enjoy putting our band in front of other people,” Ohrlund said. “This will be a totally new experience for us.”

Students will arrive at Iowa State early Friday morning and practice until late afternoon, with a similar schedule following on Saturday.While students are rehearsing, their directors have the opportunity to attend music clinics. These clinics will be lead by ISU faculty and two of the guest conductors.

ISU band members will also have a hand in Friday and Saturday’s activities. They will help with auditions for chair placements, which are based on each individual’s musical skill.

Golemo said his favorite part of the festival is “to see how far they [the students] come in a day’s rehearsal.”

Friday’s concert featuring LCHS Band and the ISU Wind Ensemble will be free of charge. Tickets for Saturday’s performance are $5 for adults and $4 for seniors and students. They can be obtained at the Iowa State Center ticket office and all Ticketmaster locations.

Those who wish to find out more about the concert can contact the ISU Music Department at 294-2080.

“It’s an opportunity to hear some of Iowa’s finest high school bands,” Golemo said.