THE BIG 3

Jeremy Gustafson

For the ISU women’s basketball team, three is definitely the magic number. As in the `Big Three’ of Lindsey Wilson, Angie Welle and Tracy Gahan.

Heading into tonight’s matchup with 0-7 Niagara in the Pella Corporation Cyclone Classic, the `Big Three’ have accounted for 73 percent (403) of Iowa State’s 552 points.

“That’s the nature of our team right now,” ISU head coach Bill Fennelly said. “We’ve got three people that can score, and we’re hoping the rest of them might make one once in awhile.”

Great might be an understatement when evaluating Wilson’s game. The point guard has scored 20 or more points in all but one of the Cyclones’ seven games. It’s no coincidence Iowa State is 7-0.

After scorching Iowa for 29 points, a career high, in the Cyclones’ 82-64 victory Wilson is lighting up opponents for 22.9 points per game.

“I’m not really trying to score, I’m just trying to win,” Wilson said. “I’m letting it come to me a lot more than I used to.”

Welle and Gahan are no slouches either. Welle has been dominant in the post, averaging 20.7 points and 11.3 rebounds per game; she is well on her way to defending the All-American honors she earned last year.

Gahan, who Fennelly referred to as “the best player in the country no one has heard of,” is averaging 14 points a game and has a knack for making big plays.

Wednesday, after Hawkeye point guard Lindsey Meder drained back-to-back three-pointers to bring Iowa within five, Gahan iced the game with a trifecta from the corner, sparking a 7-0 Cyclone run.

Now Iowa State is looking for some support. Behind Gahan, the next highest scorer on the team is forward Mary Cofield, averaging 7.4 points a game. Freshman guard Tracy Paustian scores 5.3 points a game.

“We have three legitimate great players,” ISU head coach Bill Fennelly said. “And the other people gotta fill in spots.”

Points aren’t the only thing the `Big Three’ are getting. They also play minutes aplenty. Of a possible 285 minutes this year, Wilson has played 273 minutes (95 percent), including 40 in each of her last two games.

Gahan has played 259 and Welle 257.

“I’m not too concerned about how much I play,” Wilson said. “It would be nice to get some of the younger girls some experience.”

Injuries and suspensions have shortened the Cyclone bench. Junior forward Melanie Bremer has been suspended for the first semester for violating team rules. Redshirt sophomore guard Erica Junod tore her anterior cruciate ligament. Freshman guard Mary Fox sat out the Iowa game due to back spasms.

Freshman Lisa Kriener provides bench support and juniors Kelly Cizek and Paustian have traded spots in the starting lineup. Fennelly said his lineup depends on who Iowa State plays.

“Whatever the opponent dictates, that’s what we’re gonna do,” he said.

When Iowa State takes the court today at 8 p.m., three players will be out there for certain.