Game day change, travel plans conflict for ISU football fans

Rose Shultz

The postponement of the Iowa-Iowa State football game to the second weekend of Thanksgiving break leaves some ISU fans talking turkey instead of cheering on the Cyclones.

In the wake of the national tragedy, the football rivalry was rescheduled from Sept. 15 to Nov. 24, which may leave the stadium a little more empty in the student section because of family plans, plane tickets and Thanksgiving reservations.

“I think the number of students at the game this year will be less than usual, because people will still be spending time with their families,” said Breanne Stalder, junior in biology. “Not everyone can come back that early.”

Although game day for the intrastate rivalry quickly was reassigned, it wasn’t soon enough for students who had already bought plane tickets to go home for Thanksgiving break.

“It will be really hard for a lot of students who live out of state to be there,” said Steven Cornelius, sophomore in electrical engineering from Georgia. “I had already bought plane tickets back home when they announced the change.”

Even some students who are within driving distance said they will chose to spend the extra day with their families instead of driving back to Ames for the game.

“I am sure there will still be a lot of students at the game, but I’m not going, because it is over the holidays,” said Fred Brown, freshman in electrical engineering. “And the turkey is calling me.”

Although some students will not be at the game, their seats will still be warmed by ISU students’ families who have chosen to make the game part of their Thanksgiving celebration.

“My whole family is going to go together this year,” said Pat Campion, sophomore in computer engineering. “The game is such a tradition, and both teams are looking for the win, so I think that many families will go together – even if it is over Thanksgiving break.”

Although there may be fewer students attending the 2001 game, Stalder doesn’t think it has anything to do with people not wanting to cheer on the Cyclones.

“I think that it depends where people are from and not how much school spirit they have,” she said. “It will probably still be a good turn out, because it is Iowa, just not as good as usual because of the date.”

Even with a smaller crowd of students, Brian Marshall, who plays in the ISU Marching Band, said the crowd will be as energetic as ever.

“Even if there aren’t as many people, I know there will be the same morale,” said Marshall, junior in electrical engineering.

Students like Tim Froehle, sophomore in industrial engineering, plan to show their team spirit for everyone who cannot make it to the game.

“I am definitely going to be there,” he said.

“This is the biggest football game of the year, and I wouldn’t miss it. It is the reason for the football season.”