Student-athletes on honor roll in record numbers for Cyclones

Ben Brady

Iowa State’s student-athletes have their heads held high this semester because a record 207 of them have been named to the Commissioner’s Honor Roll, an honor given to those student-athletes who achieved at least a 3.0 grade point average in the spring semester.

The mark passes the previous record of 189 set just last fall.

“This illustrates to everyone that athletes are dedicated not only to athletic competition at the highest level, but also academics as well,” said Dr. Donald R. Reed, director of the Athletics Center for Educational Services, better known as Student-Athlete Services.

SAS is a program designed to help student-athletes deal with their academic responsibilities and prepare them for the future. “We provide academic support as well as personal and career development,” Reed said.

Reed said SAS tries to help students by communicating and keeping in touch with student-athletes as much as possible. They do this through orientation programs, enrichment seminars, personal development programs, academic enrichment programs, learning centers and academic recognition.

SAS makes sure every student-athlete at Iowa State goes through an orientation program that introduces them to student-athlete life at Iowa State.

Enrichment seminars are held throughout the year, and help students with things like organization, time management and academic planning.

The personal development programs offered by SAS help students meet the physical as well as mental demands of being a student-athlete.

Academic enrichment programs provide for learning aids such as tutors and learning centers.

SAS also recognizes academic achievement through graduation receptions and a scholar-athlete banquet.

Tanya Huey, a senior on the gymnastics team and one of the 207 on the honor roll this fall, said she is happy with the services that SAS provides.

“It’s helped me a lot over the years,” Huey said. “It really helps to have a tutor. They really stress how important academics is over athletics.”

Huey said she also likes “study table,” another aid provided by SAS.

Study table is the name given to the places on campus that student-athletes are encouraged to go and get help with classes. One is located in Beyer Hall and is open during the day, and at night students can visit one in Ross Hall.

Huey said student-athletes who are struggling in their classes are encouraged to attend study table more often.

Alison Kimble, a senior on the swim team and on the honor roll, said she likes the variety of programs offered by SAS.

Huey said the recent academic success of student-athletes at Iowa State isn’t due only to SAS. She said the coaches should be credited as well.

“Coaches really do emphasize academics,” Huey said.

Reed said the real credit shouldn’t go to SAS or to the coaches.

“It’s attributed to the students really working hard,” he said.