Water bottles become more popular among students

Jodi Hinrichs

Drinking on campus has been on the rise.

Water drinking, that is.

Students have sparked a water-drinking movement that has increased over the past couple years. Many students on campus carry water bottles of all types, ranging from store-bought bottles to refilled water bottles.

Tom Gard, manager of the West Ames Hy-Vee, said the Hy-Vee 12-pack of bottled water is one of the No. 1 selling items. The product didn’t even exist three years ago.

“[The bottled water industry] has really exploded in the past five years,” he said.

Judy Trumpy, registered dietitian with the Student Health Center and the Department of Residence, said store-bought water isn’t necessary.

“Tap water is just as good,” she said. “A lot of it is in the label.”

Gard attributes the rise in sales to convenience and new lifestyles.

“You have a bottle and can take it anywhere,” he said. “Also, everyone is probably living a little healthier [now], drinking more water. The convenience is really what made it explode, and the healthier lifestyles.”

Trumpy said she believes the rise in drinking water is due to a more health-conscious society.

“We recognize the need for water,” she said. “It also may be an effort to stay off other beverages, such as those with caffeine.”

Trumpy said water is a crucial part of the diet.

“We can only last a couple of days without water,” she said.

Water has many functions in the body, Trumpy said.

“Water helps the body absorb the essential nutrients, such as carbohydrates, protein and fat from our diets,” she said. “It also removes waste from the cells.”

When buying bottled water, Trumpy said, students should look for certain factors. The label should specify the location it was bottled. Students should look for water that contains additives such as magnesium or calcium, which help keep bones strong. The water should be low in sodium and refrigerated. Storing water at room temperature promotes bacteria growth.

Trumpy said if bottles are reused, they should be washed regularly with warm soapy water to keep bacteria off the bottle.

Drinking six to eight glasses of water each day is recommended for the average person. Those who exercise heavily, such as athletes, should drink more to replace the water lost during workout.

“The key is to drink before you get thirsty,” Trumpy said. “When the thirst mechanism has kicked in, you’ve waited too long.”