Workout facilities offer students different alternatives to exercise

Ben Brady

Summer finds some students and staff looking to get in shape and searching for a good place to exercise.

This summer, they won’t have to go far as everything they need is right here in Ames and easy to get to.

Whether they’re interested in aerobics, freeweights, martial arts or racquetball, students and staff will have no trouble finding a place to do it.

The Ames Racquet and Fitness Center, the Family Martial Arts Center and ISU Recreation Services all offer a variety of options for working out.

With Ames locations at 320 S. 17th St., 3600 West Lincoln Way and 2509 Grand Ave., The Ames Racquet and Fitness Center hopes it is close enough to everyone.

The center offers more than sixty aerobics classes, eight weight rooms, seventy tread mills and tennis and racquetball courts. They also offer one-on-one help if it is needed.

“We design a workout program for new members free of charge, because, you know, no two people are alike,” said Tom Durkin, owner and general manager of the Ames Racquet and Fitness Center.

Durkin said the center is committed to providing the best service by giving people a variety of options.

“We really believe in fitness, and we believe it’s important to take care of yourself,” he said.

Elisa Arkovich, an Ames resident who works out in one of the centers, said she likes what they have to offer.

“I like how it is always clean and the employees are friendly, plus they offer lots of different programs,” Arkovich said.

A membership to The Ames Racquet and Fitness Center costs $29 a month.

For more information on The Ames Racquet and Fitness Center contact Tom Durkin at 232-1911.

For those who like to work out their minds as well as their bodies, the Family Martial Arts Center, located at 231 Main St., offers an unconventional alternative.

The Family Martial Arts Center offers classes in Tae Kwon Do, Hop Ki Do, Judo, and kickboxing.

John Shilkiatis, one of the center’s owners, said a workout in martial arts is more than just a physical experience.

“A big part of martial arts is it’s more than just working out the body,” he said. “It involves philosophy, self control and things like that.”

Shilkiatis said martial arts is also helpful for self defense plus it offers a sporty feel.

Shilkiatis said The Family Martial Arts Center doesn’t see a lot of ISU students, but the few they do have are mostly females interested in kickboxing.

For information about The Family Martial Arts Center, call 230-7002 or visit their web site, www.fmaconline.com.

Despite the success of the two centers, the most logical choice for many students to workout may be one of the four workout facilities located on campus and run by Recreation Services: Leid Recreation Center, Beyer Hall, State Gym and the Forker building.

Students have access to Recreation Service’s facilities free of charge.

The rec offers freeweights, basketball courts, artificial turf, elliptical machines, stairmasters, racquetball courts, rowers, aerobics classes, pools, volleyball and indoor tracks among others.

The rec also provides student trainers who will help students plan their workouts.

Katie Bindner, director of publicity for Recreation Services, said student trainers can provide helpful advice for students looking for a better workout.

“They teach you how to work out, they teach you how to get the best results,” she said.

Steve Rogers, sophomore in Business, works out at the Leid Recreation Center, and he said the rec has its pros and cons.

“The rec is convenient because it has lots of hours and lots of machines, but there can be too many people, and I don’t like to wait in line,” he said.

No matter where you want to work out this summer, you probably won’t have to worry about overcrowding.

Durkin said nice weather leads people to look for outdoor activities.

“We do get slower in the summer because people like to go outside,” he said.