Many students run for GSB senate unopposed

Steven Brittain

Not all Government of the Student Body candidates are nervous about the upcoming elections for their senate seats.With an intense campaign heating up among four executive-candidate slates, several senate seats have only one candidate, or none at all, registered to run for the March 6 and 7 general GSB election.Among the 22 senate-seat categories, which include each college, residency and four specialty seats, only four have contested races. Nine races are uncontested, meaning more seats are available than candidates seeking them, and nine are completely open.Constituencies without registered candidates on the general election ballot are: the business, graduate and veterinary medicine colleges, alternative housing, Interfraternity Council, University Student Apartment Council, American ethnic minority, international and nontraditional.Katie Greiman, the only candidate running for the GSB disabilities seat, said the reason for so many open seats may stem from the lack of publicity GSB gave in the weeks leading up to the election.”One of the things we need to work more on is to let the students know these positions are available,” said Greiman, junior in communication studies. “We as GSB leaders need to go to the students — we can’t expect the students to come to us.”Alex Olson, a candidate for the uncontested off-campus senate race, said it is not a matter of student apathy, but rather GSB’s poor efforts to vocalize the opportunities to the student body.”We need to advertise more, reach out more and visit our constituents,” said Olson, junior in agriculture business. “We don’t need talk, we need more action. We can always do a better job of working with the student organizations on campus, and we need to continue to work on making things run more efficiently.”Olson said he doesn’t think the lack of interest in student government is because of any hostility from students toward GSB. If GSB were seen in a negative light among students, he said, many would be interested in getting involved to change things.”GSB is doing exactly what it should be doing,” he said. “When it’s quiet, people don’t want things to change. I compare it to a peacetime vs. wartime situation.”Greiman said she thinks students may be slightly intimidated by GSB. It is up to GSB to show students how open the senate and executive seats are to all viewpoints and opinions.”I, personally, would like to see GSB be more cooperative among its members,” she said. “If we work more as a team, then I think the students will see that they shouldn’t be intimidated by GSB.”