Men’s swimming finishes third in Big 12

Mark Pawlak

The ISU men’s swimming and diving squad started and ended with a splash on the way to a third-place finish at the Big 12 Championships.Iowa State scored 487.5 points, 10 ahead of Nebraska’s 475.5, while host team and No. 1 nationally -ranked Texas won the meet, scoring a Big 12 record 1,105 points.The Cyclones earned one automatic NCAA qualifier, 16 qualifications for NCAA consideration and set four school records.The meet started with the 200 freestyle relay team, comprised of junior Dylan de Bruin, senior Peder Skoog, freshman Jono Newton and senior Jeff Gahan. The team posted a time of 1:18.77, automatically qualifying them for the NCAA. The time placed it in second, only .5 seconds behind Texas, and was also good for a new school record.The championships ended with the 400 freestyle relay team of de Bruin, Skoog, Newton and Gahan — again setting a school record with a time of 2:57.38. Their time earned them third place and qualified for NCAA consideration.Iowa State moved into third place from fifth after the first day of competition.Helping the Cyclones to their high finish was senior Jeremy Wilson. He placed in two events and qualified for NCAA consideration in the 100 butterfly.”I thought we performed well. We had a lot of time drops,” Wilson said. “The underclassmen came though in the end for us to pass Nebraska. In the finals, it came down to the underclassmen.”Sophomore diver Dave Likar was satisfied with his team’s performance. “I thought they all swam very well and I was glad to help them out by diving well,” Likar said.In the 500 freestyle, senior Josh Nogar placed fifth at 4:26.77 while freshman Steve Petric placed 14th at 4:36.49. Both times were season bests, and Nogar’s time meets NCAA consideration.The 200 individual medley saw junior Liam Short place 11th at 1:50.33 with sophomore Rob McGinty close behind in 13th place at 1:51.28. Both times were good for career bests and Short qualified for NCAA consideration. Four Cyclones qualified for NCAA consideration and posted top ten finishes in the 50 freestyle. De Bruin finished fifth at :20.11, Gahan eighth, and Newton and Skoog each tied-ninth, :20.18.Skoog, sophomore Mike Christianson, senior Henrik Ingesson and de Bruin qualified for NCAA consideration in their third-place finish in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:29.09. The time was the sixth best in school history.Sophomore Danny Binkowski led three Cyclone finishes in the top 10 of the 400 individual medley. He placed sixth at 4:00.34, Short was ninth and McGinty 10th. Short’s time of 3:58.81 in the finals ranks second in school history.The 100 butterfly saw four Cyclones finish in the top 12 places. Ingesson finished fifth, de Bruin seventh, Wilson eighth and sophomore Ansel Linder 12th. The times of Ingesson, de Bruin and Wilson made them eligible for NCAA consideration.Christianson obtained a NCAA consideration time of :55.78 in the prelims of the 100 breaststroke. He finished fifth in the finals at :56.13. Action in the 100 backstroke saw Skoog take fourth place at :48.90, gaining NCAA consideration. Sophomore Karl Sunrydh finished ninth at :49.71, and sophomore Mike Jimenez placed 11th (:50.44).The 800 freestyle relay team of Nogar, Petric, McGinty and Nakama took fifth place in a season-best time of 6:50.15.Nogar turned in a third place performance in the 1,650 freestyle, finishing at 15:37.77, which was good for fifth best in school history. Petric finished 13th (16:16.77).In the 200 backstroke, Skoog gained a third-place finish in the finals with a time of 1:46.36, gaining NCAA consideration. Jimenez finished sixth (1:50.59) and Nogar came in eighth (2:00.35).De Bruin touched the wall in the 100 freestyle with the fastest time in the prelims at :43.68. In the finals, he finished in fourth and Newton came in 12th place.Binkowski was the top Cyclone finisher in the 200 breaststroke, coming in seventh. Short finished 10th, and Christianson took 11th.In time trials at the end of the meet, the Cyclones broke a school record in the 400 medley relay. The team of Skoog, Christianson, Ingesson and de Bruin turned in at 3:14.45, also earning NCAA consideration.In diving, held previously, Likar finished seventh in the one meter and eighth in the three meter competition. Freshman Mitch Fluegel finished 11th in the one meter.Likar set a school record in the platform diving competition with 342.50 points, breaking the old record of 318.50. His performance was good for eighth place.On his performance, Likar said, “I was really pleased, but I know I can do better. There’s always room for improvement.”Fluegel placed 10th in platform diving with 312.60 points.The NCAA Championships will be held in College Station, Texas from March 22-24. The list of qualifiers will be released by the NCAA during the week.