Two slates officially run for GSB execs

Wendy Weiskircher

Two potential candidates for the top Government of the Student Body executive positions filed an appeal with the GSB Supreme Court after their petition signatures were called into question.The petitions for presidential candidate Bing Howell, junior in management information systems, and vice-presidential candidate Zach Eakman, sophomore in psychology, were challenged by the GSB election commission because at least 15 signatures did not have an accompanying phone number, said Chris Wisher, election commissioner.To be on the general election ballot, candidates must collect 2,000 petition signatures, which must be accompanied by each student’s printed name, address, phone number and signature, according to the election code. The dismissal of the two sheets put Howell and Eakman below the 2,000-count minimum.According to the GSB election code, “any sheet found to have more than five unacceptable signatures shall be rejected by the Election Commission and shall not be counted towards that candidate’s minimum threshold.”One sheet was missing eight phone numbers, Wisher said, and one sheet was missing seven. Howell and Eakman were notified Friday of the problem.Four of the students who did not include their phone numbers on the Howell-Eakman petition do not have phone numbers registered with the university, Howell said.Howell and Eakman asked the election commission to review the four names without registered phone numbers, Wisher said. The election commission was split 2-2, so the motion failed.”It would have taken a majority to pass,” Wisher said.Howell and Eakman found out Monday afternoon, hours before the official ballot-position drawing, that they would not be eligible to run in the election. They filed the letter of request for judicial review Monday night, and expect to present their case to the GSB Supreme Court today.”We have two main issues,” Eakman said. “The first one is the time this has been done in. It has been slow and at the last minute, causing a lot more stress for us.”A weekend that should have been spent planning their campaign, Howell said, turned into a weekend spent figuring out how to get on the ballot.The pair said they are most concerned that the GSB election code does not take into account students who choose to remain unlisted or students who do not have access to a phone.”It’s pretty much saying that students who don’t have phones or don’t have registered phone numbers don’t count,” Howell said. “We weren’t asking [the commission] to review everything. We were just asking them to see if the four were registered. And they shot that down.”