Howell, Eakman would focus on community, financial aid

Wendy Weiskircher

Editor’s note: This profile is the first of four in a series that takes an in-depth look at the executive-slate candidates running in the Government of the Student Body election. The first slate spotlights Bing Howell and Zach Eakman.

Two ISU students hope to bring a fresh perspective as they pair up on the Government of the Student Body executive ballot. The candidates will focus on a four-point platform during their campaign.Bing Howell, presidential candidate, and his vice-presidential running mate, Zach Eakman, said they plan to focus on student finances, the greek community, cultural diversity and student feedback in their campaign for the top GSB executive offices.Howell, junior in management information systems, said the pair decided to run for office to effect change on campus.”We see the same issues being dealt with in the same way,” said Howell, who is from Portsmouth, R.I. “We want to do things in a different way, and we want to get things done.”The first plank of the team’s platform is to increase the amount of state-allocated grants and scholarships given to ISU students. Protesting state budget cuts which may lead to sharp increases in tuition is not the only way to get money into students’ pockets, Howell said.”We think the state of Iowa should be doing a better job of providing for everyone in the university,” he said. “Not everyone can be that A-plus student to get the scholarships. You have to help the B and C students, too.”Eakman, sophomore in psychology, said combating the greek-community stereotype and increasing awareness of greek life among incoming students is another focus of the campaign.”When students apply at Iowa State, there’s no acknowledgment of the opportunity to live in the greek system,” said Eakman, who is from Plymouth, Minn. “We want to work with the Office of Admissions to give information about the greek system as well as the residence halls. We do not want any houses shutting down.”Howell said Iowa State can reach out to minority and multicultural students by establishing a multicultural center. After north Helser is torn down, he said, access to the Asian and Latino cultural centers will be limited.”There’s been a need for [the center] for years,” he said. “Now, more than ever, we’re going to need a place for multicultural groups to come together.”The fourth major plank of the Howell-Eakman platform is a program called Your Voice, which gives students an opportunity to speak out about ISU and GSB issues.”Too many times, candidates say they’re going to attend meetings and talk to students, and it just doesn’t happen,” Howell said. “We want to know if there’s an issue of greater concern than what we’re doing.”Your Voice, a committee responsible for attending club, house and floor meetings, would answer questions and get input from students and report back to the executives, he said. In addition, Howell and Eakman would host open forums once a month to hear from students.Both Howell and Eakman have been active in leadership activities, which they said will help them bring a new perspective to the office. Howell is on the GSB Cabinet, serving as the director of community outreach. He established the Multicultural Ambassadors for Iowa State program, which aims to recruit multicultural students, and he is a member of many multicultural organizations.Eakman, a member of Sigma Chi fraternity, has been active in the greek community, volunteering for Homecoming, Greek Week, Veishea, the blood drive and Derby Days. “We’ve been out and around campus with all of our activities … and we have a different outlook,” Eakman said. “We acknowledge that we’re not perfect, but we’re willing to work hard.”