GSB election officials hope online process is successful

Steven Brittain

With the Government of the Student Body elections slated for the beginning of March, the GSB election commission has been working to make sure the process goes off without a hitch.Candidates will officially be announced tonight at the ballot-position drawing. The drawing will take place at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.For the first time, students voting in the March 6-7 election will be able to cast their votes online with the new electronic-voting system. Instead of going to polls and voting by paper ballot, students will only have to log on to the GSB Web site, www.gsb.iastate.edu, and select their picks for the senate and executive candidates.Despite the ease of the electronic system, voter turnout for the election may not be affected, said Lisa Arneson, member of the election commission.”I believe that it will depend a lot on how many people know about the new system,” said Arneson, junior in chemical engineering. “If it is advertised well, then I think that it will do very well.”Others on the election commission said voter turnout will depend on more than just easy access to the electronic polls.Wendell Mosby, member of the election commission, said the convenience of electronic voting still doesn’t affect the amount of student apathy on the ISU campus.”Right now, there isn’t a whole lot going on on campus,” said Mosby, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production. “I don’t see the students taking a real interest in this election until they have a deeper understanding of the candidates and their platforms.”Mosby said there might be some controversy among executive-slate candidates after the election commission finishes counting petition signatures. In order for students to run for president and vice president, they first must obtain 2,000 signatures, according to the GSB election code.Mosby said quite a few signatures have already been thrown out for various reasons, which potentially could keep some candidates from running.There also have been concerns raised about potential conflicts of interest for members of the election commission, Mosby said. Several members of the election commission are upperclassmen who have personal relationships with some of the candidates, he said.”Some of this stuff is going to hit the fan, and I don’t know which way it will be blowing,” Mosby said.