GSB to discuss teacher evaluation changes

Steve Brittain

The Government of the Student Body will begin work to follow up a busy fall semester when the senate reconvenes tonight.GSB President Ben Golding said there will be several new issues for the executive branch to face.Topics in store for ISU student leaders are an overhaul of the course evaluation process, a decision on whether to make Cy-Ride free to all students and the continuing search for a new university president.”The search for a new president is definitely the most important issue right now,” Golding said. “We’re placing this among the very top priorities, especially during this next month. We want as many students involved as possible, so that we can get their feedback.”Golding also said GSB will be looking to revamp the course evaluation process this semester.”We’re looking to implement something that is more comprehensive and far-reaching than the system has been in the past,” he said. “Something that will allow for a system of better feedback.”Alex Olson, vice chairman of the Finance Committee, said the senate also will be taking up several important university funding issues this semester.”One of the largest issues is regular allocations,” he said. “GSB will be allocating upwards of $1.3 million to student groups.”The senate will also work with issues that carried over from the fall, Olson said.”Of course, we will be tying up the loose ends of last semester, such as the hockey team and [GSB] election matters,” he said.A lobbying effort at the Iowa Statehouse for government appropriations to Iowa State is another project the senate will focus on, Olson said. “I know that we are gearing up for an excellent lobbying effort at the Statehouse,” he said. “We have already started to meet with Republicans and Democrats, for education is not a partisan issue, it is an issue that everyone cares about.”Overall, Olson said he is confident in the senate this semester.”The senate is always looking forward to an opportunity to work through the issues,” he said. “I am sure that the students of Iowa State will see a senate that is working hard on the project of the day.”