GSB to vote on fee redirection

Steven Brittain

The Government of the Student Body will vote tonight on the adoption of the proposed redirection of student fees budget.

Senators voted last week to postpone the senate order. The group Student Leaders of Color encouraged the senate to have a percentage of the student fees set aside for the retention of minority students.

GSB President Ben Golding said he agreed with the senate’s decision to push back the vote.

“All this does is it gives the senators another chance to talk with their constituents and [give] everyone more time to consider the budget,” he said. “This budget represents a lot of money, so it’s only fair that we take our time.”

The budget that is proposed to be sent to Interim President Richard Seagrave consists of directing 80 percent of the incoming student fees to undergraduate programs and the other 20 percent to graduate programs. As of now, there is no money specifically set aside for the benefits of minority students.

The Student Leaders of Color are planning to give another presentation tonight to convince the senate that more money should be allocated into efforts to retain minority students.

Last week, P’Angela Haynes, freshman in pre-journalism and mass communication, addressed the senate with the concerns of the minority students at Iowa State.

“Only 11 percent of Iowa State’s minority students graduate in four years,” said Haynes during her presentation last week. “Iowa State claims to be diverse, so we must make the efforts to maintain this diversity.”

Haynes will combine her efforts with another student minority leader, Jennifer Ray, sophomore in apparel merchandising, design and production, at the meeting for another presentation to the senate.

Golding said the concerns of the group will be taken into great consideration by every member of the senate.

“Overall, the current budget that we have is only a recommendation to the president,” he said. “Right now, there is a significant portion of the president’s budget that is being overlooked.”