Sketch inspires student creativity

Melissa Meyers

The Maintenance Shop is set to host an array of written and visual works tonight, as Iowa State’s literary journal, Sketch, presents a publication reading for its spring issue. Sketch is a student-run organization that gives students from all the colleges an arena to display their creative work, according to editor Audrae Jones, graduate student in English. The magazine has been published at Iowa State since 1934 and features written works of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction, in addition to images of student art. All submitted pieces anonymously go through a student jury. The spring issue, and tonight’s publication party, represent the chosen 28 of approximately 260 submitted entries. Jones encourages all students, even if they are not writers or artists themselves, to attend the reading. “They will have the opportunity to hear some of the work published last spring, and see some of the artwork,” Jones says. “It is really quite wonderful to see the size and depth of a piece.” While the focus of tonight’s reading is on formally releasing last spring’s issue, Jones encourages any students interested in submitting their work, or in helping with production of the fall issue of Sketch, to attend as well. “Volunteers are our big push,” Jones says. “We will be begging for volunteers [tonight].” Jones anticipates a larger issue this semester because Sketch was allocated more money from the Government of the Student Body. She feels this is important because more students can have their work exposed to the public, and it allows them to print color images of student art. One reason Jones encourages submitting work for publication in Sketch is that it’s difficult for young artists to break into the field. “For those not in the field, this is one of the few places they can exhibit their work,” she explained. Alexa Sibley, senior in art and design, has had artwork published in Sketch the past two semesters. “It is a good opportunity for students who want to get their work exposed to the public,” Sibley says. “No matter how bad you think your artwork is, there is always a chance.” The Sketch publication reading starts at 7 p.m. in the Maintenance Shop. The reading is free and open to the public, and refreshments will be served. Anyone interested in volunteering or submitting work for publication in the fall issue should attend tonight’s reading, or contact Sketch editor, Audrae Jones at [email protected]. Fall 2000 Sketch submissions are due Sept. 22 and can be dropped off or sent to room 206 in Ross Hall. Writers should submit a printed copy of their work, along with an electronic version on disk in Microsoft Word. Submissions should include a cover sheet with the author’s name. Since each piece is judged anonymously, the author’s name should not appear on the work itself. Artists should submit their work on a slide or as an electronic document scanned in high resolution. They should include a cover sheet that gives the title, medium and size dimensions of the piece. The Sketch Web site can be found at www.stuorg.iastate.edu/bloc/sketch. Students should expect to see the fall issue of Sketch in the entryways of major buildings on campus this winter.