Joint project to keep campus litter free

Doug Stevens

A new student-run project to keep the ISU campus clean and litter-free kicks off today as student and administrative organizations team up for the first session of the Campus Clean Up Program. Matt Welk, student life director for the Government of the Student Body, said he organized the program to be similar to other litter-combat programs. “It will be a lot like the [Department of Transportation’s] adopt-a-highway program,” he said. Welk said he expects about 10 organizations to help with the first campus clean up, including GSB, the freshman and sophomore animal ecology learning communities, Black Student Alliance, National Society for Black Engineers and Engineering Council. Several administrative organizations also plan to participate. Today’s event is not only aimed at keeping the campus clean, but also to increase awareness about the program, Welk said. “We’re hoping to use the kick off as a spring board to get people involved,” he said. Hilary Johnson of the sophomore animal ecology learning community, which will be concentrating its cleaning efforts on the Maple-Willow-Larch complex area, said her group is looking forward to the project. “We’ve been talking about doing something like this for a long time,” said Johnson, freshman in animal ecology. “We’re really excited that someone’s organizing this since it’s something we wanted to do anyway.” GSB Director of Minority Affairs Stacie Dunlap said one of the Black Student Alliance’s main reasons for helping with the project is staying involved at Iowa State. “We want to do our part and be a part of the Iowa State community,” Dunlap said. “It’s something that needs to be done, and we want to do our part to see that it gets done.” Dunlap also said several other minority groups will be getting involved in the fledgling program, including the National Society for Black Engineers. Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill said the project should have many positive results for the university. “It’s something that I think is welcome on campus,” Hill said. “It shows that the students have pride in their campus.”