GSB tries to attract more freshmen

Doug Stevens

The Government of the Student Body discussed funding issues Wednesday for the initial stages of a new executive program designed to involve freshmen in GSB. The senate debated funding for an informational letter cosponsored by the GSB executive branch and Freshman Council that will be sent to all ISU freshmen sometime next week. The letter is the first stage in the new “Fresh Look at GSB” program that will give interested, first-year Cyclones a closer look at the GSB process. “This program is designed to involve freshmen with GSB,” GSB President Ben Golding said. “We want to get them to senate and committee meetings and show them what this organization has to offer.” The funding bill initially was introduced on the floor Wednesday evening after being removed from the Rules of Order Committee. Due to concerns about the proposal’s budget, senators voted down a motion to waive the second reading, and the bill was put on next week’s agenda. During final announcements, Golding brought a new proposal to the floor. Along with Freshman Council President Brandon Schaefer, Golding proposed that the GSB advertising account and the Freshman Council will jointly fund the printing and postage for the letters. An unofficial vote of the senate showed a majority support for the new idea, which would take the funds from the discretionary account. “We feel that this issue is too important to wait another week,” said Matt Ostanik, interfraternity senator. In other business: Brent Welder was approved for the open LAS representative seat in the senate. Greg Tew was voted vice speaker for GSB senate and Kathryn Kallaher was approved to fill his position on the Rules of Order Committee.