A rainbow of pride

Ben Burke

CHICAGO — Thousands of people lined Halstead Street on the North Side during the weekend to catch a glimpse of the 31st annual Gay Pride parade.

The roots of this annual celebration stem from the Stonewall Inn uprising of gays against police brutality in 1969. The incident initiated the current gay-rights movement and the celebration of Pride Week around the nation.

Other participants in the Chicago parade included gay veterans, members of AIDS foundations, groups of gay high school students and the Lakeside Freedom Band, a group of gay musicians.

Supporters of the gay-rights movement also marched in New York City, Atlanta and San Francisco.

The sidewalks lining Halstead were brimming over with children and adults wearing rainbow-colored shirts, necklaces and even some rainbow-colored hair Sunday to watch the more than 200 parade entries representing local businesses and civic groups.

“I can’t believe how many people are here; it’s so cool to see people out here with their families and friends,” said Sarah Sullivan, a student at the University of Iowa.

The mood was one of excitement and anticipation as members of the Chicago Police Department began the parade mounted on horses, wearing big grins and waving at the crowds.

Following the police officers were convertibles being driven by politicians and their supporters. The people showed their enthusiasm by cheering as they drove by waving.

“I really think this is sending a strong message to the nation that gay people are proud of who they are and also the presence of so many politicians is great to see,” said Adam Schisel, student at DePaul University, Chicago.

In New York, Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and Senate candidate Hillary Clinton, who walked 20 paces behind a Rollerblader in a thong and a man in a pink tutu, participated in the parade.

Veterans of the Stonewall Inn uprising also marched in drag in New York.

Here, however, some people were not as happy to see the political presence.

Scott Driscoll, Chicago resident, said he believes the politicians who participated were there only to win votes.

“I just hope they’re still on our side after election time,” Driscoll said.

Many participants said they came just to experience the good-natured atmosphere of the event.

“I’m not gay, but I have a few really good friends who are that I’m here with,” said Julie Cohen of San Diego. “Where else can you find such a great parade and party?”

— The Associated Press contributed to this report