Veishea 2000 gives back with 2,000 hours of service

Michelle Kann

Showing the Ames community that Veishea is a weekend of fun for the whole family is the main goal of Veishea Community Outreach.

In order to do this, Veishea Committee members have been working to complete 2,000 community service hours before April 16.

“The focus of Veishea has always been to bring together the Ames community with Iowa State students,” said Justin Hattan, Veishea Community Outreach co-chair.

The committee members said they felt the best way to reach the community was just to roll up their sleeves and help out.

“Community service is overlooked a lot,” said Mike Cook, Veishea community outreach co-chair. “We really wanted to stretch our legs and show that is important to us, too.”

Members decided the goal of 2,000 community service hours would be an appropriate goal for Veishea 2000. This is the second year committee members have donated their time to various causes and events.

Cook, senior in agricultural studies, said there’s been a variety in the community service activities, ranging from helping at the daycare center on campus to picking up garbage in Campustown.

“We were open to doing about anything,” Cook said.

Committee members have been working since December to reach their goal through various projects. At press time, with less than a week until Veishea, the 306 members have accumulated more than 1,800 hours

“We should reach our goal easily,” said Hattan, senior in economics and political science.

The first event was Dance Marathon, which is a daylong event to raise money for University of Iowa hospitals and children with cancer.

“A big chunk of our hours came from helping with Dance Marathon. We got a lot of people involved with this very important cause,” Cook said.

Several Veishea members participated in carnivals for elementary schools in the Ames area. The carnivals were held from 5:15 p.m. to 8 p.m. and included a cake walk, basketball, football and beanbag tosses.

The students organized carnivals at Northwood Elementary School, 601 28th St.; Kate Mitchell Elementary School, 3521 Jewel Dr.; Sawyer Elementary School, 4316 Ontario St.; and Edwards Elementary School, 3622 Woodland St.

“We get them excited at an early age about coming to Veishea to see the open houses and parade,” Hattan said.

Hattan, who has been involved with Veishea for four years, said he enjoyed going out and talking to junior high and elementary students.

“I went to every one we helped with,” he said. “It was a good time.”

The final 200 hours of community service comes during the week before Veishea.

“Tables will be set up around campus with buckets for people to make free-will donations to the Ames Boys and Girls Club,” Cook said. “We’re on the last stretch of our goal. I’m pretty confident we will reach it.”

An effort to clean up Campustown also took place to help Welch Avenue prepare for Taste of Veishea.

“We’re working to improve the image of Veishea to the community. In the past, it was viewed as an alcoholic student event,” Hattan said. “Our major role is to create awareness in the community of Veishea of being a positive event.”