Volunteers operate free clinic for uninsured

Michaela Saunders

While the debate over providing health insurance to those who cannot afford it remains a central issue in presidential campaigns, some Ames medical professionals are actively trying to help those in need.

Each Thursday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., between 10 and 20 individuals take advantage of services provided by a free medical clinic housed in the Youth and Shelter Services building, 420 Kellogg Ave., said clinic director Mary Kitchell.

Kitchell said the clinic is intended to aid members of the community who have fallen on hard times and temporarily lack health coverage.

“Our facility is designed for people who don’t have access to proper health care,” she said. “For most of the people we serve, the problem is being underinsured or having no insurance at all.”

Much like a family doctor’s office, the free clinic treats ailments ranging from cancer to psychiatric problems. Patients are helped on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Because ISU students are able to purchase health insurance through the Student Health Center, Kitchell said most of the clinic’s visitors aren’t enrolled at the university.

“Most students can get insurance through the Student Health Center, and we encourage that. We have little time to see people, so if the option is available, we suggest they take it,” Kitchell said. “We do, however, see many family members of students that can’t get that insurance.”

The two-hour time frame in which the clinic is open can often make it difficult to see all of the patients requesting service, Kitchell said, but staff members make an attempt to see everybody.

The clinic is regularly staffed by one or two medical doctors, as well as about 15 other licensed medical professionals such as nurses and specialists. All of the staffers work voluntarily.

The supplies for the clinic are donated by Ames’ Mary Greeley Medical Center, while the medicine is donated by drug companies and local pharmacies.

“We provide the best health care we can,” said Dr. Jay Brown, medical director of the clinic.

Brown said the medical professionals rotate their duties, with many people donating their services at one time or another.

“We have probably close to 20 doctors, and there is a huge number of nurses, lab technicians and lay people that come in and volunteer their time,” he said. “The [Mary Greeley Medical Center] administration have also been very supportive.”

But the most important aspect of the clinic, Kitchell said, is the people getting medical treatment who may not have the opportunity to otherwise.

“Many people would not have access to health care without this service,” she said. “Lots of people need this.”