Career library’s open house turnout goes up

Jacque Sondgeroth

Paper stars, footprints and signs for free food marked the path to the Career Exploration Library’s open house Wednesday.

The brightly colored decorations brought in a steady flow of people for the daylong event, said peer educator Katie Elbert.

Yvette Nelson, peer educator, said the open house was a success, and the turnout was better than the last open house. “Free food helps draw people in,” she said.

Another peer educator, Kuo-Wei Chiu, said he was pleased with the variety of people who were present.

“I see a real diverse group coming in,” Chiu said.

Lakisha Miller, freshman in microbiology, said she saw the open house as a chance to get information about changing her major.

“Students come to college and never know what to major in,” she said.

Elbert agreed many students are not sure of their direction.

“A lot of people don’t know what they want to do and don’t know where to go to find help,” she said. “That’s what we are here for.”

Nancy Corbin, assistant director of Student Counseling Services, said she would like to see students visiting the library earlier in their college careers.

“We would like to encourage students to start exploring career information before they are at the point where they are feeling pressure to chose a major,” she said.

“They should take the time to make a thoughtful decision.”

Elbert said she thought the library’s current location detracted from its accessibility.

“It will help when we go back to the Student Services Center,” she said. “We will be easier to find.”