Carnaval 2000 will simulate Brazilian party

Michelle Kann

ISU students who can’t afford to travel to Brazil for the “big party” can plan to attend Carnaval in Ames.

Carnaval 2000 will be held from 8 p.m. until 2 a.m. on Feb. 26 at The Zone, 125 Main St. Tickets go on sale Saturday.

“It’s traditionally the most popular festival in Brazil,” said Brazilian-Portuguese Association Adviser Luiza Dreasher. “It’s a lot of fun and is an opportunity to learn about a very important and popular event in another part of the world.”

The Brazilian-Portuguese Association is sponsoring the celebration, which will be held inside because of cold weather, instead of on the streets like in Brazil. The Brazilian costume party, similar to France’s Mardi Gras, features loud music and confetti.

“It’s a Brazilian-style dancing party with samba music that has excited the participants to dance to the point of exhaustion,” said Rogerio Borges, Brazilian-Portuguese Association President.

Carnaval is gaining popularity in Ames, and Borges said students should “act fast if they want to go because the tickets will sell without problem in a big hurry.”

The cost of the tickets is $5 per person, and students interested can e-mail [email protected].

“Last year, we had 250 people attending the six-hour long dancing Fanzi costume party,” said Borges, assistant scientist in agronomy. “Those tickets sold out in one week.”

Participants are encouraged to dress in a costume, but it is not required. Borges said there is no traditional Carnaval costume, and variety is part of the fun.

“Just like in theater or a play, each costume represents a message,” he said. “Try to make a statement of some kind with your costume. Be relaxed. There are no hard rules.”

Borges said the four nights spent dancing, singing and wearing costumes during Carnaval is an important part of Brazilian tradition.

“There are a lot of factors involved in building the cultural heritage that came from the interaction of Portuguese, Afro-Brazilians, natives and immigrants,” he said.

During the colonization, the Portuguese brought their European version of Carnaval to Brazil, he said.

“It was a kind of war game played in the streets using water or perfume balloons by all types of people,” Borges said.

The International Student Council and Cafe Beaudelaire, 2504 Lincoln Way, are also sponsors of Carnaval.

“It’s a high-energy and fun party,” Borges said. “Also, it’s a chance to grasp the cultural values behind it. It’s not a celebration for nothing.”