68-year-old tradition still bursting with ‘Varieties’

Ben Godar and Paul Kix

Months of hard work and creativity will soon pay off for many ISU students, as the annual talent showcase “Varieties” makes its return.

For 68 years the event has provided an outlet for students to show-off their musical, dramatic and dance talents. This year’s theme, “Student Stars Unmasked,” promises many of the familiar trappings of “Varieties,” as well as some new twists.

Justin Hoffman, senior in speech communication, is the producer of this year’s show. Hoffman said “Varieties” involves from 400 to 500 students annually.

“‘Varieties’ is a SUB-sponsored event and competition, which provides students with a chance to display their talent while gaining valuable performance and production experience,” Hoffman said.

There are three types of performances in “Varieties” — skits, vignettes and MCs.

A skit is a musical and dramatic production incorporating new lyrics and choreography into a familiar piece of music.

“An example [of a skit] might be taking a Billy Joel song and putting new lyrics to it, making it specific for their plot,” Hoffman said.

Hoffman said skits are typically around 20 minutes long and involve anywhere from 20 to 50 performers.

Vignettes are shorter performances, typically around 8 to 10 minutes, intended to entertain the audience between skits. Vignettes may involve anywhere from one person to 20.

MC’s may be individuals or groups who perform in between skits and vignettes, giving the show a feeling of continuity.

Last weekend, and the next two weekends, performers battle it out to determine who will advance on to the Sweepstakes round, held the weekend of Feb. 25.

Jeff Donahoe, senior in computer engineering, is one of the directors of Pi Kappa Phi and Gamma Phi Beta’s “A Quest for Love.” Donahoe says that he enjoys the performances without necessarily getting bogged down by the competition.

“Over the years, I have come to appreciate the performances for what they are,” Donahoe says. “I don’t necessarily want to get cut, but I do appreciate a fine piece of work.”

Neil Schmedding, sophomore in performing arts, hopes that his background in theater will help him as co-director of Alpha Omicron Pi and Delta Tau Delta’s “Time for Change.”

“This is my second year as a director,” Schmedding says. “I have a background in theater that a lot of the people don’t have, so I get to educate them on the right way to do things instead of the hokey or cheesy way.”

Schmedding and others began working back in October, when they brainstormed ideas they thought the Varieties audience would enjoy.

“In [‘Time for Change’] a family starts out on a vacation with the best intentions, but inevitably everything goes wrong,” Schmedding says.

Schmedding hopes the skit will be something a little different from skits of the past.

“I hope to break away from the stereotypical mold of ‘Varieties’ as just a big old hunk of cheese and laughs,” Schmedding says. “Hopefully we’ll get across a good message, and the audience will also find it entertaining.”

One thing that certainly is different about this year’s “Varieties” is the entry from Barker House, a residence hall floor, in what has typically been an all-Greek event. Although their have been other non-Greek entries in the past, Barker House is the only such entry this year.

Kyle Davis, sophomore in computer science and director of Barker House’s “Never Trust a Monkey,” said that this is their second year of involvement with “Varieties.”

“‘Varieties’ Central Committee invited us to participate last year, because they wanted to diversify,” Davis said. “Barker has a history of participating in events; we’re more active than a lot of the houses.”

Davis says last year’s Barker entry provided the house with an excellent learning experience.

“We didn’t have a lot of knowledge of how the stagecraft worked for ‘Varieties,'” Davis says. “We made several large flats we had to move in and out really fast, and it didn’t work out too well. I feel we did it a lot better this year.”

“Never Trust a Monkey” combines ideas from several members of Barker House.

“Originally, one of the guys on the floor was tossing around the idea of an old radio show,” Davis says. “Some of the guys have a fixation with monkeys. Everything got tossed in, and that’s what we came up with out of the process.”

While Davis hopes for success for “Never Trust a Monkey,” he too isn’t overly concerned with the competition.

“We’d like to see it go to the final round, but we did it for the fun of it,” Davis says.

Although he is pleased with how “Varieties” has turned out thus far, Hoffman says it has been difficult at times.

“The most challenging thing is organizing everything,” Hoffman says. “We have a committee of 50 people, and I have to make sure they’re doing their work. I make sure everything’s in place so the shows go off without a hitch. The show must go on.”

Second round competition continues this weekend, with the same show performing Saturday in the Great Hall at 6:30 and 9 p.m. Another set of performers will be showcased Feb. 12 at the same times. From there, three skits, three vignettes and one MC will be selected to perform at the Sweepstakes.

This year, making the sweepstakes round is even more important than before.

“The top three skits are each awarded a certain amount of money that they get to donate to a charity of their choice,” Hoffman said. “It’s a nice little incentive for them.”

The Sweepstakes round will perform Feb. 25 at 7:30 p.m., and Feb. 26 at 6:30 and 9 p.m.

Tickets for the second round shows are $6, and Sweepstakes round tickets are $7. All tickets are available at the Memorial Union hotel ticket desk.

Hoffman also warns there has become an informal dress code for the event.

“A lot of people get dressed up for it,” Hoffman said. “People don’t have to, but it’s kind of fun.”