IRHA to hold GSB open forum, discuss Terms and Conditions

Amber Billings

Students will be able to pose questions to the candidates for the upcoming Government of the Student Body elections during an open forum at the Inter-Residence Hall Association’s meeting Thursday.

IRHA Parliament members are encouraging students to come and see the candidates so they know who will be representing them in the future. Dustin Hughson, Oak-Elm representative, said students should go to the meeting to discover the candidates’ views.

“Because of the low turnout [last year], it’s important for the GSB to be represented by the people the students want instead of a select group,” Hughson said. About 6 percent of the ISU student body voted in last year’s GSB elections.

Dave Eilers, Union Drive Association at-large representative, agreed with Hughson.

“It’s their opportunity to ask the slates any questions that they have. It’s their time to put [the slates] on the spot,” Eilers said.

The open forum will be held from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Wallace-Wilson Conference Room, said IRHA President David Sims. Jeff Greiner, IRHA vice president, will be conducting the open forum by having the GSB candidates draw a number and the student with the corresponding number will be able to ask the question.

Also, the parliament will be discussing the Department of Residence Terms and Conditions. Last semester, IRHA members noticed changes in the Terms and Conditions they said they had not noticed last spring.

Virginia Arthur, associate director of residence, and the IRHA Internal Affairs Committee have been meeting to discuss the policies. With the Department of Residence’s help, IRHA will make some of the policies more agreeable to the students, Sims said.

“We’re looking out for the best interest of the students,” he said.

There will be no new bills introduced at the meeting, but parliament will be voting on two bills. IRHA was asked to allocate $200 to AIDS Walk 2000 from its discretionary fund. The 5K walk will raise money for the Story County AIDS Coalition. Another bill concerned the revival of the IRHA “Of the Year” Awards and would allocate $500 for cash prizes for a Student and Resident or Community Adviser of the Year Awards.

The meeting will immediately follow the open forum.