Greeks question new building

Jacque Sondgeroth

The future site of a nine-story condominium building has some members of the greek system concerned about the consequences of its location.

On the corner of Sunset Drive and Beach Avenue, the new housing will be next door to the fraternity Phi Delta Theta, 2035 Sunset Dr., and behind the fraternities Phi Kappa Theta, 2110 Lincoln Way, and Pi Kappa Alpha, 2112 Lincoln Way.

Milton Seiser, investor in Jemfour Nine Inc., the company financing the project, said the building’s eight floors will house 31 one- and two-bedroom units complete with underground parking.

The condominiums, about 1,800 square feet each, will be sold for an estimated price of $360,000.

Seiser said although he doesn’t think there will be much student interest in the complex, there will not be any age limits or application requirements for residents.

“Very frankly, 1,800 square feet is a lot of space, and most students can’t afford that,” he said. “But if they have the means to fund a unit, then that’s fine.”

The company approached the council requesting tax-increment financing through the city’s urban revitalization program.

Approval of the tax break for the condominiums passed 5-1 in October 1999.

Parking was one of the concerns that went along with the approval of the building.

City Council member Herman Quirmbach said the underground parking the city requested would have been built regardless of the tax break. He was the sole council member who opposed the tax break.

“These are luxury condominiums,” he said. “You’re not going to charge that much money and then expect your residents to park on an already-congested street.”

Quirmbach said he counted the cars in the vacant lot prior to the October meeting.

“Whether they were parking illegally or not, I saw more than 30 cars that were going to be forced on to the already-congested street,” he said.

The priority of the council, Campbell agreed, was parking problems.

“The issue of fraternity parking came up,” Campbell said. “But it was believed they were parking illegally.”

Matt Grennan, president of Beta Theta Pi, 2120 Lincoln Way, said the members of his fraternity were not parking illegally.

“We paid rent each year to use the lot for parking,” Grennan said. “We have rented it for quite a long time.”

Grennan said their fraternity rented the property from Alpha Sigma Phi and then from the current owners until building began.

Currently, members are competing for spots on the street.

“This [parking situation] is new to us, and we haven’t had the opportunity to look into options for next semester,” Grennan said.

Some fraternity members are worried about noise conflicts.

“We already have a problem with the noise ordinance,” said Austin Woodin, president of Phi Delta Theta, “especially during the last weeks of the semester.”

Alpha Sigma Phi President Jeff Oleson said he doesn’t think the development of the land will affect them directly, but he said there may be some minor problems.

“If the price is too high for students, the situation could be awkward and hurt the greek community,” he said.

Ryan Pleak, president of Pi Kappa Alpha, wonders if the future residents will be as flexible as students were in the past.

However, Pleak is optimistic that these issues will be worked out when the building opens in December.

“We can look at it this way,” he said, “there are always new issues with new neighbors.”