Gore makes last plea for students

Alison Storm

The clock is ticking, and the eight presidential candidates from both sides of the aisle are working to gain last-minute support from Iowa voters before tonight’s caucuses.

In a last-ditch effort to win over ISU students and faculty, Vice President Al Gore held a rally in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union Friday night.

Supporters turned out in large numbers to support Gore’s campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination and to learn more about the candidate. Crowd members waved signs saying “Viva Albert,” “Al Gore Rulz” and “Teachers for Gore.”

“Are you ready for Monday night?” Gore asked the audience of more than 900. “Are you going to the caucuses?”

Recent polls show Gore holding a substantial lead over former New Jersey Sen. Bill Bradley, whom Gore called “a good man with a bad plan.”

Gore emphasized the importance of student participation in the upcoming caucuses.

“I have been to this campus many times, and this is the key to how Story County does Monday night,” Gore said.

U.S. Rep. Leonard Boswell, D-Iowa, and Secretary of the Department of Education Richard W. Riley were also on hand to express their support for Gore.

“I’m going to the caucus, and I want you to go to the caucus,” Boswell said.

Rally volunteers passed out cards for supporters to sign and pledge their support for Gore.

Katie Theisen, junior in environmental science, said she had not made up her mind yet as to which candidate she will vote for, but she said she will definitely be participating in her precinct caucus.

“I think it’s important to elect a candidate that you feel will stand for your issues,” she said. “I think the more people that participate, the better off we will be.”

Theisen said she is attracted to Gore’s attention to environmental issues. Gore addressed the issue of global warming in the beginning of his speech. “We’ve got to recognize that pollution is harmful,” Gore said.

Brooke Sass, sophomore in anthropology and registered Democrat, attended the Gore rally but said she won’t be participating in the caucuses.

Although Sass admits she doesn’t know much about the candidates, she would side with Gore because of his stances on abortion and gun control.

“It’s all really confusing to me, and that’s why I’m just trying to explore my options,” she said.