Students support, protest Roe v. Wade anniversary

Michelle Kann

With today’s anniversary of the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, two ISU pro-choice student organizations are trying to convince people that “the battle is not over” when it comes to the issue of abortion.

The ISU American Civil Liberties Union and the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance are working to educate students about their views on the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1973 decision. The groups decided to put up posters Thursday to express their opinions.

“We are working on a public education program for women’s reproduction rights,” said Mitch Day, vice president of ISU ACLU. “We thought it would be a good way to reach students.”

The poster shows a picture of a coat hanger and the statement, “When your right to a safe and legal abortion is taken away, what are you going to do?”

Day, junior in physics, said the posters are intended to alert the public to what some women might do if abortions were made illegal.

“Women in the past used hangers to perform abortions,” he said. “Women will find a way to have an abortion if they want it.”

The ACLU and FMLA hung up 200 of those posters Thursday in all the female dormitories.

“We hope the flyers get people talking,” said Abby Hansen, vice president of FMLA and sophomore in biology. Both organizations will hand out “Roe v. Wade” stickers today on campus.

Even though 27 years have passed since the decision was made on Jan. 22, 1973, the abortion issue is still a controversial subject.

“We need to promote awareness that the battle is not over,” said Herman Quirmbach, adviser to ISU ACLU. “The posters [are] a way of exercising free speech. It gives information to the people it directly affects.”

Some activists said they understand that the posters might spark some controversy.

“I assume some people will be angered with what they’ll see. That’s understandable,” said Deb Sundquist, president of FMLA and senior in speech communication. “Everyone has a right to their opinion.”

Of course, not every student group will be celebrating the anniversary.

Derrick Rollins, adviser for Campus Crusade for Christ, said he is against abortions in most circumstances.

“Life is sacred,” he said. “The unborn child needs a life.”

Rollins said he is in favor of overturning the Supreme Court decision because Roe v. Wade “allows for any type of abortion without accountability.”

“Someone needs to speak for the person that has no voice — the unborn child,” Rollins said.