US West helps LGBTSS achieve ‘small victory’

Michelle Kann

The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Student Services celebrated a “small victory” when the organization received a $5,000 grant from US West.

The US West grant will be used to sponsor this year’s Small Victories Celebration, which will be held on the ISU campus Jan. 27.

“It’s a great partnership,” Associate Dean of Students Pete Englin said about US West’s involvement with Small Victories.

Small Victories is a LGBTSS program that celebrates and recognizes individuals who work to provide an environment that supports diversity. The annual event deals with building awareness of LGBT issues on campus.

LGBTSS Coordinator Travis Greene described Small Victories as a day “in the dead of winter where the Iowa State community comes together to recognize small victories on campus.” He said the event is free and open to everyone.

The group was excited when it found out about the grant in early December. “It was a great way to end 1999,” Greene said.

The event was previously sponsored by Ames businesses and ISU organizations. Even though US West has given money to similar organizations, this was the first time LGBTSS was approached for a grant.

“It shows that US West is a national organization committed to diversity,” Greene said.

The financial contribution will help the organization reach goals while earning national recognition for its efforts.

“It brings national creditability to the program,” Englin said. “It’s a higher level of visibility of small victories for students and staff.”

With the sponsorship of US West, Small Victories Celebration organizers are working to make this year’s event enjoyable.

“We will continue to thrill participators,” Greene said.

Small Victories includes several awards concerning LGBT issues. The awards will be presented to students, faculty and staff who contribute to academic excellence, community development and student service. Teresa Wahlert, state vice president for US West, will be the key speaker for the event.

A new initiative for this year’s celebration is the W. Houston Dougharty Ally Award, named after Iowa State’s former associate dean of students.

According to a press release, this award is presented to an individual who displays an exemplary level of commitment and support to LGBT students.

The Scott Rohlf Presidential Leadership Initiative Award is a scholarship presented to a current ISU junior or senior who excels academically and exhibits a commitment to improving the climate for the LGBT campus community. This new award also will be given at the celebration.

Englin said about 300 people are expected to attend the event, and Greene said LGBTSS is very excited about the grant.

“It shows that we are on the right track. This event is meaningful not just for Iowa State campus, but for the entire community of Ames,” Greene said.

The third annual Small Victories Celebration will be held from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Jan. 27 in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.