Central campus aglow during Festival of Lights

Jocelyn Marcus

Many students, faculty and Ames community members kicked off the holiday season at the Festival of Lights Wednesday night on central campus outside of Beardshear Hall.

Participants were given free hot cocoa and candles to hold.

The evening began with the Iowa State Oratorio Choir performing an Israeli song of togetherness, an African spiritual and “Come Sing We Now Our Holiday Song,” a piece written specifically for the festival.

Before flipping the switch to turn on the lights strung on a large evergreen tree, ISU President Martin Jischke reminisced about the festival’s history.

The celebration began in 1946 and has run almost every year since then, he said.

However, this year’s festival is the largest and most diverse, Jischke said. It was originally only a Christmas celebration, but “this is a special time of year for people of many cultures and religions,” he said.

Once the tree was lit, the crowd sang traditional Christmas carols.

The celebration also included horse-and-buggy rides, tours at the top of the Campanile and activities at several buildings around campus, including the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center and Farm House museum.

Many people brought their children to the festival.

Lt. Deb Larkin of the Department of Public Safety came with her 5-year-old son, Michael, and 2-year-old daughter, Katherine.

“It’s a nice celebration,” she said. “It’s beautiful — the story time, the lights, the singing — just to start our Christmas holidays off.”

Jenny Ray, sophomore in marketing, came to the festival with friends.

“I just like the fact that everyone can get together and join in the holiday spirit,” she said, adding the event also promoted school spirit.

Climbing up to the top of the Campanile for a tour was a new experience for Jared Bruce, senior in English.

“I’ve been here for five years, and I’ve never been up there before,” he said. “There’s someone up there actually playing the bells. I’ve never thought about that before.”