Ames apartment hunting unusually easy this winter

Erin Holmes

Students moving out of the dorms for the spring semester will find several open spots available in housing complexes right now — a rare occurrence for this time of year.

“There are more apartments available now than in past years,” said Gary Hunziker, owner of Hunziker Property Management, 105 S. 16th St.

Hunziker attributed this phenomenon to increased demand for rental housing.

“More apartments are being built because of the need for them; we certainly have apartments available,” he said.

However, the selection offered at this time of year is not nearly as broad compared to the housing available prior to the school year, Hunziker said.

“At this time of year, the majority of units are leased until the end of July,” said Ann Wichmann, office manager for Jensen Property Management, 235 Alexander Ave.

Most of the units open up at the end of July and offer a wider selection of availability and diversity, she said.

Jensen Property Management is finishing construction on a new housing facility, which will have 12 units available to lease for the spring semester.

“In Ames, what we have available is a new complex that is going to be opening in January,” Wichmann said.

The units have two or three bedrooms, with some including a garage, she said. The rent for the various apartments falls between $850 and $1,050 per month.

Normally, though, most of Jensen’s units would be full this time of year, Wichmann said.

“We also have a few units opening in Huxley and Story City,” she said. The rent there is a little lower, ranging from $400 to $550 per month.

The University Student Apartment Community also has more openings than usual for this time of year, said Sue Mills, manager of community services for the Department of Residence.

These openings resulted from the department’s Master Plan to make University Village and Schilletter Village categorized exclusively as family housing.

“It is unusual to have an empty apartment this time of year,” Mills said. “In the past, it would have been filled by a single student.”

Currently, USAC has available 30 two-bedroom townhouses for spring semester to ISU students who meet the Department of Residence’s definition of “family.” To qualify, students must be either single parents who have dependent children living with them or married couples with or without children, Mills said.

“The $404 rent includes basic and expanded cable, one parking space free, water and garbage pickup,” she said. Gas and electric bills are extra, but the average cost for each is low, Mills said.

“The University Village average year-round gas bill would be about $52 a month, while the electric would be around $27 a month,” she said.

In the fall of 2000, USAC will open the Hawthorn Court apartments, which will be designated for single juniors, seniors and graduate students, Mills said.

Karen Popelka, rental consultant supervisor for Professional Property Management, Inc., 201 S. Fifth St. Suite 202, said subleases and buy-out contracts from renters are good options for students.