Cyclones sweep Illini

Jerod Bruner

The Cyclone hockey team took full advantage of a huge crowd during its one game this year in Hilton Coliseum and came away with a victory on Friday night before going on to sweep its weekend series with the University of Illinois.

The Cyclones took Friday night’s game 6-1 and followed that up with a 4-2 victory on Saturday evening.

Head Coach Al Murdoch characterized his team as “a little nervous” when it took the ice in front of around 4,000 clapping and cheering fans on Friday night.

Murdoch believes nerves led to the team’s slow start as it was behind 1-0 at the end of the first period.

“After the first period we realized what we had to do,” sophomore center Jeremy Meyer said. “We knew we weren’t playing up to our potential, so we came out after that and got the job done.”

Murdoch said that job included getting more physical and getting to the puck faster.

“The fans love it when there is a big hit, and that in turn gets our adrenaline going,” he said. “It gives us another hop to our step. The big hits definitely made a difference this weekend.”

Nathaniel Little, sophomore forward said, “Some big hits in a game can definitely turn the game around. Tonight those hits got the crowd and our bench going.”

Along with an increase in hits, the Cyclones started to net some shots in the second period and went on to outscore the Fighting Illini 6-0.

Co-captains Glenn Detulleo and Brian Paolello each had 2 goals for the Cyclones.

Goalie Nathan Dahlen turned in a pair of excellent defensive performances, as the freshman diverted 37 shots on Friday night and 17 shots on Saturday.

“Having that huge attendance on Friday night in Hilton was a big energy boost for us,” sophomore defenseman Tory Larson said. “The fans really get us going, and there was great attendance on Saturday night [at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena] as well.”

The fans in attendance on Saturday night saw the Cyclones complete the sweep of Illinois, 4-2, with Meyer netting 2 goals.

“We are starting to come together and see some character in this team,” Murdoch said.

“When you have a youthful team, you don’t always see that. Now we are getting some momentum.”

“We knew [Illinois] would come out harder Saturday,” Meyer said, “but we know we can’t afford to have anyone slack off because every weekend is big for us.”

“We like to show people what our hockey program is all about,” Little said. “Friday night in Hilton we had a great crowd in a great facility.”

With the weekend sweep, the Cyclones improved their record to 9-5-1 overall and 2-4 in the CSCHL.

They are looking to continue their improvement in the conference at home this weekend against the University of Michigan-Dearborn.

“We are beginning to focus really well, both on the ice and in the classroom,” Murdoch said. “We gained some momentum this weekend and hope the great team play we are having will continue against Dearborn.”

The Cyclones weren’t the only winners on Friday night as the team sold the jerseys it wore during the first period with the proceeds going to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

Murdoch said the 25 jerseys that were sold averaged over $100 apiece.

“It’s a great way for us to give back to the community,” he said. “We ended up giving a lot of money to the MDA and Jerry’s kids.”