NAESC commends ISU’s Engineering Week

Erin Holmes

Iowa State engineering students recently received the 1999 National Association of Engineering Student Councils’ [NAESC] award for holding the most outstanding Engineering Week.

ISU students were presented the award at the NAESC national conference, which was held at the University of South Florida in Tampa.

The planning efforts for E-week started last January and lasted until the event, which ran Sept. 19-24, said Sarah Fetter, general co-chairwoman of the event.

“The committee worked hard in getting everyone contacted, getting everything organized, and they pulled it all together in a professional manner,” said Fetter, senior in chemical engineering.

The committee consisted of 29 students, with 12 students doing the bulk of the preparation.

“Engineering Week is a big celebration for engineers; it is an awareness of all the things that we do,” said Mark Dollard, general co-chairman of E-week.

Dollard, senior in chemical engineering, said being on the committee is one of the best experiences an engineering student could have at college.

ISU was awarded the honor because it had the most productive, informative and exciting event, Fetter said.

“The main components [of the week] are educational programs for the students and the community, entertainment and free food,” she said.

The activities of the week ranged from focusing on career aspects to fun-filled activities.

One of the highlights of the week was the Career Fair, which was held Sept. 21 at Hilton Coliseum.

The event was the largest of its kind in the nation, with 234 companies attending.

Fetter said there was a good turnout for the event, which drew 4,500 students to Hilton.

In the weeks surrounding E-week, there were three seminars preparing students for the Career Fair focusing on r‚sum‚ writing, networking at the career fair and evaluating benefit packages.

There also were numerous social activities, including a golf tournament, intramural basketball and Frisbee golf tournaments and a terrace party with live music at the Memorial Union.

A free kick-off picnic and carnival served more than 600 students.

E-week also arranged for Iowa high school seniors to visit the campus.

The turnout was record-breaking, with more than 450 students and parents making the visit, Fetter said.

“E-week has been around for 20 years, and it just keeps getting better and better every year,” she said.

Dollard said he hopes the event will continue to grow in size and scope.

“The school has built this really awesome tradition; in order for something to be great it has to be better every time you do it.”